Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have real world experience with mini-split air conditioning?

Make sure condensation lines are installed correctly. A/C installers don't have to pass high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I do spend plenty of time outdoors. I just don't want a house without air conditioning. My bus conversion is used mostly for trips out west where the weather is more tolerable.

I'm going to talk to the city, hopefully tomorrow, about the possibility of a variance that would allow a taller building. If they say there is no possibility then this house is out of contention. My bus is 12' 9" tall. It really requires a 14 foot door. A pitched roof is required so the peak of the roof can only be 14 feet.
    Thanks for clarifying. A variance is a great idea, so you can get what you really want. The justification being it is a larger lot and can accommodate a larger building with out appearing crowded or out of place. I would get it writing so you don't get stuck buying the property, then being told, "we never said that".

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Erbele View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. A variance is a great idea, so you can get what you really want. The justification being it is a larger lot and can accommodate a larger building with out appearing crowded or out of place. I would get it writing so you don't get stuck buying the property, then being told, "we never said that".
    Nobody at the city can assure me of getting a variance. The city planner can only say if they think the variance would be approved by the planning commission. The city planner can also say if city staff would support the variance or not. If city staff doesn't recommend approval of a variance it would be hard to get planning commission approval. The planning commission has final say and I can't actually ask for a variance if I don't own the house and also have concrete plans for what I want to do.

I'm having trouble talking to any of the city planners at the city. I left a message for one on Monday and no call back. She works Monday to Wednesday and the other planner is on vacation. I left another message today. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the planner told me she thought the variance would be approved and it did not get approved later. It is still a nice lot that leaves me plenty of room to park my converted bus. A lot of city lots have no room for a 43 foot bus.