Thread: Auger File Information

Auger File Information

The picture shows eight files in a mostly old to new order. The first three are from the early 1900's. The next two are newer. The last three are currently available new. They are all about the same length.
    auger files.jpg
    1. K&B (Made in USA): One end broken. Handle 3/16” Dia. File tapers .04” to .08” thick.
    2. Kearney & Foot (Made in USA): Handle ¼” Dia. File tapers .06” to .1” thick.
    3. Nicholson (Made in USA): Handle ¼” Dia. File tapers .04” to .08” thick.
    4. Nicholson (Made in USA): Handle .1” thick. File tapers .04” to .1” thick.
    5. Heller (U.S.A.): Handle .06” thick. File .06” thick.
    6. India: Handle .09” thick. File .09” thick.
    7. & 8. Iridium? (Made in Italy) Handle .09” thick. File tapers .05” to .09” thick.
    (Currently offered by Lee Valley and Tools for Working Wood.)
    The first three files are older and have round handles. The file end is also curved. The next three were stamped out of a flat sheet and the edges are somewhat sharp. The last two are modern files and have comfortable rounded edges on the handle. They also taper in the file sections allowing access to the narrowest bits.

After using all these files, my preference are the current ones from Italy for both form and function. Please add pictures to this post of any other auger files you may have.

Finland auger file.

Here is one found on E-bay made in Finland. It looks similar to the newer Nicholson's.
    Finland Auger File.jpg

I bought that Finnish file. It was cheap!

I got a pair of those EZE lap diamond hone paddles and have been loving them . . . I see Trend or somebody makes diamond files/paddles in an auger-file-esque shape for sharpening router bits and such - anyone use these on auger bits? Overkill? Sometimes the surface left by my file isn't as keen as I think it could be, and I wonder if trying to get a little keener would let one go further between sharpenings, or on steel soft enough to be filed it's just waste, since it would dull past that point quickly.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

A triangular saw file will work also, although it doesn't have any safe edges.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Point being?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Lie Nielsen auger file from India

This is the current auger file offering from Lie Nielsen. It is made in India. It has a very long file length and a short center grip area. It is 7 1/4" long and a consistent .11" thick (2 mm). The file teeth are quite fine. The edges in the center area are a little rough but could be sanded down.
    Lie Nielsen auger file.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    A triangular saw file will work also, although it doesn't have any safe edges.
    Harry, I have plenty of saw files with safe edges, mainly because I use the saw files for too long. A quick run along the grinder cleans up the edges quite well.

Peter