Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African Mahogany/Granite End Table

African Mahogany/Granite End Table

I actually finished this project a while ago but never posted the finished photos. This was the project that got me sucked into the vortex- I wanted to make and End Table for use in our recently finished media room. I used the same wood and finish as the entertainment center. I just couldn't come up with a design that I liked and decided it was time to turn some legs. This was also my first foray into true mortise and tenon joinery. We put a granite top on it to match the countertops we had installed in the back of the media room, so this helps pull the two rooms together. Plus I don't have to worry about coasters, spills, etc. And when the kids run into it, nothing falls over (except the kids, but they're resilient).

Sketchup design phase. I liked this because I could plan the leg out in 2D, create a 3D model so I could see what it would look like round, and then I used the 2D printouts as my template at the lathe.

Poplar Prototype. Let me practice the turning as well as the joinery

Replicating setup:

Not bad for a first attempt at matching legs. I can pick out the first leg I turned though. You probably can too:

Dry fitting the joinery. I started the mortises on the drill press and then cleaned up/finished on the router table. It was a little tricky because they aren't centered on the legs. Each leg needed two different setups.
    Last edited by Rob Price; 01-13-2014 at 9:20 PM.
    Where did I put that?

Sled for cutting the dado to accept the bottom shelf. Clamped to my miter fence with a stop at the bottom to register the height of the shelf. I used 1/2 plywood wrapped with the mahogany.

Ready for finish:

Finish: Boiled linseed oil first to bring out the grain. Then Java Gel stain (General finishes) more like a glaze than a stain. Fills in the crevices to give it an aged look. Then satin Deft lacquer with my cheapo HVLP from Rockler.

I glued blocks to the bottom of the granite that keep it registered, but easily removable for transport:

Comments/critique welcome. Thanks for looking.
    Where did I put that?

Blog Entries
    Great looking table. Nice work.

Looks really nice. I like the stain treatment also.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Very nice. Thanks for posting it

Wow! That is a very nice table. Great looking finish and nice wood selection.

Absolutely beautiful.

Wow, that came out great. Are you sure that is walnut?

Ahhhh! You're right. Everything I've done lately has been walnut. This is African Mshogany. I can't edit the title on my phone. I'll see if I can fix it when I get to a computer. How embarrassing :P

I like it too, very majestic has a nice strong look.Nice looking coves and beads.

Rob. cool table, really love the avatar where was that pic taken? I can tell it's warm. I love to dive.

Mike

Really awesome table. I get jealous when I come look in this forum and see all the beautiful stuff you guys do. Wish I had that talent.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Beautiful design, beautifully executed. Nice!
    It's better to be a spectacular failure than an apologetic one...

Avatar was shot in Marathon, Fl. My woodworking budget eats into my scuba budget.

Marathon. That's cool, we rent a place there every winter, at the very end of treasure island road. I dive with Tildens when I'm there. Just got back from the Philippines a few days ago. Highly recommended, but looooong flights.