Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Incandescent Ban is Off !

The Incandescent Ban is Off !

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Yay, but now I have a ton of bulbs stockpiled already. I'm good for 5 years. LOL. ()
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 01-14-2014 at 6:45 PM. Reason: previous comment too political

I thought that was one of the few good things they did..........

What do I know?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Yay, but now I have a ton of bulbs stockpiled already. I'm good for 5 years. LOL. ()
    We've been phasing out the regular incandescent bulbs but we stockpiled at least 10 years worth of 3-way bulbs, LOL.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'm shocked! Can't find any other sources for the story though, which is weird.

I heard it on the TV news. I googled" light bulb news" and found the page I linked to.

Oh, and the TV news report said a farmer in Nebraska will be happy to hear this news!
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 01-14-2014 at 7:17 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I heard it on the TV news. I googled" light bulb news" and found the page I linked to.

Oh, and the TV news report said a farmer in Nebraska will be happy to hear this news!
    LOL! Wonder who, I might know him! I saw it on a couple other sources after my last post BTW. I'm just google impaired tonight.

As the promoted comment on the article now states, the bill only eliminates the funding to enforce the new standards. It doesn't remove the new standards. Plus what's not listed is that manufacturers have already done the phase out on their own; they are actually in favor of the change to new bulb technology.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    As the promoted comment on the article now states, the bill only eliminates the funding to enforce the new standards. It doesn't remove the new standards. Plus what's not listed is that manufacturers have already done the phase out on their own; they are actually in favor of the change to new bulb technology.
    Correct on all counts.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I was sad to hear this, actually. I'm encouraged that only the funding is killed and not the requirement itself. However, if corporations know they can break the law and get away with it because no one can get paid to prosecute them, well, they're obviously going to break the law. I actually think it was a terrifically done legislation. The government just said "You have to do better than X and we don't care how you do it.". They didn't try to tell us what we had to use, they didn't try to tell us how we had to achieve it, they just set a requirement that benefited the country and the let the market work out how the standard was going to be met. They really ought to do more of the things they regulate that way.

I just bought two of the new halogen bulbs yesterday for a light fixture that is totally enclosed and rarely used. CFL wouldn't last due to heat and LED doesn't make sense for a light that is used maybe once a month. They are even made in the USA.

Just because funding isn't there for enforcing a law doesn't mean the law doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 01-15-2014 at 6:50 AM.

Timely topic in our house. On 12-30-2013 we put 4 CFL's in our kitchen light fixture. On 1-7-2014 one was burned out. This morning, a second is burned out. This time of year, that light is on about 5 or 6 hours/day. GE bulbs, 25 watt (60 w equivalent) in an open fixture with 40 to 80 hours of service. Since this is the fixture we use the most, we tried CFL's a few years ago and had similar results so didn't bother doing any others in the house. Generic incandescent bulbs typically lasted 18 to 24 months in the same fixture. Not convinced this is really cost-effective, and there is no way that throwing these away every few weeks is environmentally friendly.

We may start looking at kerosene lamps. Not bashing the idea of efficiency--but our limited experience has not been impressive.

earl

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Williams View Post
    However, if corporations know they can break the law and get away with it because no one can get paid to prosecute them, well, they're obviously going to break the law.
    As far as energy efficiency goes and keeping up with standards in general, I'd imagine legal compliance among private individuals is quite a bit worse than it is at a corporate level.

The light bulb issue is self solving at this point. Energy efficiency is marketed hard and my generation (who likes to have the house lit end to end and sometimes outside, too) will go for efficient bulbs because it'll make economic sense. Removing the law itself at this point would've been preferable, in my opinion, because it wouldn't screw over the folks who have, for example, a need for a bulb that provides light and heat (nurseries or animal breeders, etc), or folks like farmers who have a 100 watt bulb in the back of a shed or grain storage that comes on 3 times a year for a minute or ten (where the CFL choice leaves them squinting in cold weather while it turns on).

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Timely topic in our house. On 12-30-2013 we put 4 CFL's in our kitchen light fixture. On 1-7-2014 one was burned out. This morning, a second is burned out. This time of year, that light is on about 5 or 6 hours/day. GE bulbs, 25 watt (60 w equivalent) in an open fixture with 40 to 80 hours of service. Since this is the fixture we use the most, we tried CFL's a few years ago and had similar results so didn't bother doing any others in the house. Generic incandescent bulbs typically lasted 18 to 24 months in the same fixture. Not convinced this is really cost-effective, and there is no way that throwing these away every few weeks is environmentally friendly.

We may start looking at kerosene lamps. Not bashing the idea of efficiency--but our limited experience has not been impressive.

earl
    The crees would probably last a long time in it, but at a cost of $10-$13 each. If it's on 5-6 hours a day, and the cree bulbs use 9.5 watts, you might get your money back over a period of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Williams View Post
    I'm encouraged that only the funding is killed and not the requirement itself. However, if corporations know they can break the law and get away with it because no one can get paid to prosecute them, well, they're obviously going to break the law.
    Was a bill ever passed by congress and sent to the white house, which was signed by the president? A real law?

I had thought this was all regulatory, done by the EPA.

If it was regulatory, the typical way to "fix" it is to defund enforcement. Basically telling the agency they can spend no time/money/other resources on it.

And notwithstanding comments that this won't change anything because bulb manufacturers were for the new mandates, I'm telling you right now to expect to see conventional bulbs on the shelves again. All it takes is one manufacturer that realizes there is an unserved market segment.