Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: block plane mod

My experimental plane was bevel UP. It just was at so low an angle it wouldn't cut.

Speaking of too low to cut, this is a classic:

http://www.supertool.com/etcetera/deadends/look.htm

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    My experimental plane was bevel UP. It just was at so low an angle it wouldn't cut.

OK, George, I'll bite. what was that plane? and why wouldn't it cut? I understand about needing clearance behind the edge, and that if you give it too little the wear bevel will quickly wipe it out, but won't a freshly sharpened paring chisel at least slice off a bump with the belly tight against the wood? of course, that is without having a mouth in front of it....

so yeah, too little clearance angle coupled with a very tight mouth is likely to produce an unworkable tool. I don't see how too low a cutting angle (front of blade to wood) can make a plane that won't cut, just one where the edge fails prematurely (which is entirely a function of grind angle, right?). so if I push the grind angle to near minimum (say 20 degrees) and put up with fussy edge retention, accept minimum clearance (Derek's 7 degrees sounds about right) I can achieve a cutting angle of 27 degrees. my current lowest is bedded at 13 and ground at about 18, so it is cutting at 31 degrees. I set it up that way for end grain, and it worked well for that. since grind angle plus clearance angle makes cutting angle, choosing bevel up or down is a trade off between bed fragility and needing to maintain a grind angle within tight failure boundaries (edge failure / bevel rub). besides, with this plane there is no reason I can't flip the blade over at any time.

Blog Entries
    The problem is when a plane blade is pushing into a cut the edge of the blade will make it tend to "dive" into the wood. In this case without enough of a relief angle the wood will push it back out.

Maybe someone can say it more eloquently.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wease View Post
    Speaking of too low to cut, this is a classic:

http://www.supertool.com/etcetera/deadends/look.htm
    Sometimes one has to do these things for themselves, but often we can temper our attempts by leaning on the experience of those who have failed before us.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)