Thread: Why should I upgrade to Sketchup Make Edition?

Blog Entries

Why should I upgrade to Sketchup Make Edition?

I have Sketchup 8 installed and am planning on once again trying to learn some basic skills in Sketchup. I want to design and build a new fireplace mantel for my next project. I see that once again Sketchup has changed hands. The new owner still has a free version called the "Make Edition". Should I upgrade to this edition? What are the new features? Will I have to reconfigure it for woodworking? Re-install cutlist?

Thanks,
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi Larry,

SketchUp 2013 has a lot of under the hood improvements but there's little you'll see that is different on the surface. There are a few added features such as the ability to create customized toolbars for the native tools and direct access to the Extension Warehouse which will make installing plugins painless. It's not like you'll be learning a new program, though.

As for reinstalling cutlist, yes, you will and you'll want to install fresh versions of any other plugins you might have. There were changes to the Ruby API that required updates to many plugins. Unless you've been diligent about updating the plugins you have already installed, they'll be out of date.

You can use your existing template in SU2013. If you decide to make the switch, let me know and I'll help you with that.

The ownership change for SketchUp occurred a few years ago while SketchUp 8 was the current version.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    The ownership change for SketchUp occurred a few years ago while SketchUp 8 was the current version.
    That doesn't surprise me, I spend my entire life a few years behind the times!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Hi Larry,

SketchUp 2013 has a lot of under the hood improvements but there's little you'll see that is different on the surface. There are a few added features such as the ability to create customized toolbars for the native tools and direct access to the Extension Warehouse which will make installing plugins painless. It's not like you'll be learning a new program, though.

As for reinstalling cutlist, yes, you will and you'll want to install fresh versions of any other plugins you might have. There were changes to the Ruby API that required updates to many plugins. Unless you've been diligent about updating the plugins you have already installed, they'll be out of date.

You can use your existing template in SU2013. If you decide to make the switch, let me know and I'll help you with that.

Thanks, Dave.
    It sounds like I should probably go ahead and upgrade, if for no other reason than to just keep up. I think cutlist is the only plugin I have, but am not sure of that. How do I tell what plugins I do have?
    Larry J Browning

Hi Larry,

Perhaps the easiest thing to do to check for other plugins is look at the Plugins menu and see what's there. also look at View>Toolbars and see what toolbars might be available. The third place would be Window>Preferences>Extensions and see what shows up in the list. Not all plugins show up in Extensions so that last location by itself wouldn't be the best indicator alone. If you want to do it, you can look in the Plugins folder and see what you have there.

Once you get SU2013 installed, get in touch. We'll go through setting up toolbars for you. One thing you should know is that they changed the toolbar manager. It's a good thing in general but it won't allow you to make a two-column vertical toolbar for the left side. Fortunately it's easy enough to deal with.

Larry, one other thing I should have mentioned. Su2013 will install without changing SU8. Leave SU8 alone for the time being.

Blog Entries
    Larry, one other thing I should have mentioned. Su2013 will install without changing SU8. Leave SU8 alone for the time being.
    Thanks Dave,
    It will probably be sometime in February before I can get to this, but I will contact you when I do.
    Larry J Browning

Larry,
    I wanted to use Sketchup to make segmented bowls and since I know how to use a CAD program (TurboCad) I didn't think it would be much of a problem to learn Sketchup.
    I was wrong, I tried to learn Sketchup on my own a number of times using Googles tutorials and never made much progress. I started taking Joe Zeh's tutorials (http://www.americanwoodworker.tv/vid...ners-sketchup/) and even though they're for furniture makers they've really been a good teacher for me.
    I wish I could find an equivalent tutorial for segmenting. I've looked at Llyod Johnson's videos but they aren't that much help (probably because he's so far above my learning level.
    Dave, you seem to know quite a bit about Sketchup. Do you know of a tutorial for segmenting?

Jim, I think there is software out there specifically intended for designing segmented turnings but I think you could manage to do something in SketchUp, too. What you do depends on what you want to start with and what info you need out of it.

FWIW, I am a SketchUp Authorized Trainer and I've been using the program for more than 10 years so I can manage with it.

Read and understand the license --- you're not allowed to use it commercially.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    Read and understand the license --- you're not allowed to use it commercially.
    This is true but if you're using SketchUp professionally, you can probably utilize the additional features of the pro version anyway. From what I understand, if you were to purchase SU2013 Pro now, you'd get SU2014 pro for free. No upgrade charge.

How can one say ``free'' when one is on the hook for a $95/year license fee?

The $95/year license fee includes the upgrade to the next version. If are already a SketchUp 2013 Pro user and you don't pay the $95 when it comes time this year, you won't get SketchUp 2014. Since SU2014 will be released soon, if you purchase SU2013 Pro now, they won't charge the $95 fee to upgrade to SU2014 Pro. Upgrading from one version of SketchUp Pro to the next has been $95 since before I started using SketchUp more than 10 years ago.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-16-2014 at 6:51 AM.

Jim, I think there is software out there specifically intended for designing segmented turnings but I think you could manage to do something in SketchUp, too. What you do depends on what you want to start with and what info you need out of it.

FWIW, I am a SketchUp Authorized Trainer and I've been using the program for more than 10 years so I can manage with it.
    Dave;
    Unfortunately, the existing software for segmenting (at least that I can find) is PC based and I'm on a MAC. Thanks for responding.

Jim