Thread: my latest project; a cherry Queen Anne candle stand

my latest project; a cherry Queen Anne candle stand

Hi, thought I’d share my latest with the Creek; a cherry Queen Anne candle stand. I am still a lathe newbie, but am relatively happy with the way it turned out. One thing I learned was that, even if you can’t exactly reproduce the pattern you’re aiming for, the fact that the outcome will be symmetrical helps a lot (as demonstrated by the one photo of the spindle pattern and then the “reality” ;-). My inexperience with the lathe tools led to a few unexpected knicks which then turned into some unplanned features in the spindle.

001 (640x480) (2).jpg

Once again I cheated on the cherry, and used a General Georgian Cherry gel stain to try to match some existing living room furniture we have (I know that is generally frowned upon here). I typically start a project by perusing the posts on the Creek for ideas, and this was no exception; many thanks to all the contributors for sharing their knowledge. As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

008 (640x480) (4).jpg 001 (768x1024).jpg 003 (480x640).jpg
    Last edited by Tom Lindsay; 01-18-2014 at 2:19 PM.

Tom,

Nicely done! How are your legs attached to the spindle? Are they dovetailed?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great looking table. The color will only get better looking with age, although it looks good now.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Very nice results.....Any topcoat over stain?? Good job
    Jerry

Looks great to me!

I for one, nearly always color cherry as I prefer a darker look to a natural finish, which is probably due to me never finding cherry boards that match very well.

Your experience on the lathe mirrors my own! Everything I turn is subject to some "unplanned features"!

Thanks to all for the comments. To answer Ken's question, yes I dovetailed the legs into the base of the spindle. Watching Norm on an old episode of NYW showed me how to flatten and dovetail spots on the spindle at the 120, 240 and 360 degree positions. To answer Jerry's question, I put on 5 coats of thinned gloss poly as a topcoat. The table will primarily be used by my wife (who has taken over my "blue throne" in the living room as her own ;-), so I wanted reasonable protection against coffee, tea and wine spills.

Very nice job. There is one on my project list. Couple of questions, how thick is the top, it appears to be thicker than 3/4"? What edge profile did you use?

Thanks Tom.

George

for a newbie turner, I think your spindle looks very good. nice build
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

In response to George's question, the top is 3/4", with a Roman Ogee edge. I used a very similar edge on a pair of end tables I made recently and was looking to have some common details between them. I planed the stock for the legs a little thicker (7/8"), because I had thoughts on "thinning" them at the ankles, but ended up leaving them at 7/8".

Thanks for the info on the thickness and edge treatment.

George