Thread: Iron acetate can also take out the reds that might throw off your stain color

Iron acetate can also take out the reds that might throw off your stain color

While replying to the other thread about aging wood with vinegar/steel wool, I thought I'd mention how I used it to reduce the reds/yellows that were messing up a custom stain match.

I made pocket doors and built-in bookshelves, and the clients wanted to match the color of the 1930's chestnut trim in their Tudor-style house. Ash gave what I thought was the best grain match to chestnut. My custom stain place did a great job of matching a piece of the original baseboard, but when I made the storyboard for the final finish it kept coming up too red; the original aged trim was really a true brown with no reds.

I thought the key would be to tint the ash gray or gray-green to eliminate the yellows that were throwing off the finish. Iron acetate will do that, but it needs tannins to react with. Ash is very low in tannin. So I added tannin to the ash by spraying it with strong green tea. After that dried I de-fuzzed it, then sprayed it with iron acetate, then the custom stain. The match came up perfectly.

And green tea makes the shop smell really nice!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is an excellent example of working through the problem and coming up with a solution. Great result Stuart. Cheers.

About 5 years ago I had to match oak trim and poplar interior doors to the oil base stain on a fir entry door. I did a similar pre-treatment using a yellowish Trans tint dye on the oak and brown on the poplar followed by the Minwax stain.