Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lie-Nielsen Plow Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    2. Add a slot to the knob so as to tighten/loosen with a screwdriver. This alone can make all the difference (I used a Dremel. You can use a hack saw).
    Derek, did you document somewhere how you went about doing this with a Dremel? I cannot imagine that you freehanded the cut?

Hi Greg

I know that I have written about this before, even posted pics. But I do not recall putting it up on my website.

In any event, I just freehand the Dremel grinding the slot.

If you are concerned about accuracy, use a thin magic marker (in Oz we refer to them as a Texta) to mark a thin line, and lightly run the blade along this. I have not bothered, but just eyed it. Clamp the screw in a vise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

As Derek said it is quite easy, use a cut off wheel. If the screw is held in a vise you can eyeball the vise jaws to center the wheel and visually keep the cut aligned.
    jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Ah, a cutoff wheel-that makes sense-thanks. I was thinking small end mill cutter, and I couldn't imagine free handing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My brain must have fried. My understanding is that is exactly what a plow plane is supposed to do, make grooves of a predetermined size.

jtk
    Ha! Jim, it's MY brain that's been fried! Moving has done me in. I meant to say no tongue creating ability. Sorry, mea culpa maxima.
    Maurice

When I make a slotted screw I start with a hacksaw to make a slot. Just freehanding it in the vise. That is always too thin, so I get after it with the thinnest flat needle file I have. In theory you can even work the slot a bit more to the right or left with the file, but in practice I find it follows the hacksaw slot accurately.

Blog Entries
    Not being able to do tongues is certainly a downer. I could use a rabbet plane to do it in two steps I guess. I was really hoping for a tongue and groove option but since the already sell a t&g plane, I suspected they might not make it an option on this one.

Slotting the screws with a hacksaw was easy. i stuck the screw in the jaws of my vice and sawed away. Use a parallel sided flatblade to turn it. Works great.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Not being able to do tongues is certainly a downer. I could use a rabbet plane to do it in two steps I guess. I was really hoping for a tongue and groove option but since the already sell a t&g plane, I suspected they might not make it an option on this one.
    Getting a Stanley 45 to work can be an intimidating hassle. Once all the problems get worked out, it is a very versatile tool.

To me it is kind of surprising Lie-Nielsen isn't interested in reviving this or something like it. The last one made to the same specs as the Stanley 45 to my knowledge was made by Clifton. It was on sale for a price north of $600. Not a great price for the budget minded.

My education on a few of the issues relevant to the #45 seems to expand every time one is used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Ha! Jim, it's MY brain that's been fried! Moving has done me in. I meant to say no tongue creating ability. Sorry, mea culpa maxima.
    You've been chasing that unicorn so long, you forgot what it actually is supposed to look like.

YOu in P'Tree City now?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent, I looking for that paisley unicorn with butterfly wings, smoking a hookah. It's out there, somewhere!
    Yup, in PTC. Have to head to Lenox today to hit up the Apple Store. Thought I'd swing over to Highland Hardware to get reacquainted. Want to meet up?
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    Has anyone been in contact with DL Barrett and sons, their site is down. If thy still exist I may look into having them build a plane and just go that route.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I gave in last spring. The veritas is great. I originally had trouble keeping it square to my work, but a small wooden fence fixed that.

Cody, I went the same route. No complaints.
    Maurice

I can't push the right handed plow due to neuropathic pain. So, I pull it. That makes it much easier to keep the fence against the work.
    i finally sold it and bought a left handed one. I pull it sometimes as well.
    Paul