Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen Plow Plane

Lie-Nielsen Plow Plane

So, I’ve been corresponding with a woodworking author/teacher, and inquiring about metal plow planes. In particular, I asked about LV’s small plow. Their response was that it’s a fine tool, it’s best for smaller work (read: boxes, small furniture, etc.), and that the depth stop was not too reliable. The advice I got was to either look for a Stanley 45, or wait a month for the LN plow to be released. This person had been using it extensively and prefers it. Just called LN, to throw my name in the hat of those wanting to buy one. They informed me that they are not yet taking pre-orders, but will be doing so “before winter ends”.
    So, anybody else on the list of those wishing to buy? Anyone heard preliminary reports?
    Maurice

I don't have a Veritas but I've only ever come across one person who didn't like the plough plane. That was Alf over at Cornish Workshop. How deep or how wide do you need to make grooves that the Veritas won't suffice?

I suppose it's one of those petrol vs diesel arguments, some will love wooden ploughs whilst others love the metal cousins.

What I do know is that the Lie-Nielsen will be significantly more expensive.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Hilton, the word I got was that the LN version will run $250-ish.
    There was also talk a few years ago the LV was developing a large plow (plough) plane. That was back in 2011, and I wonder if that got canned, or whether the LN version will spur Rob & Co. on to bring it to market.
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 01-20-2014 at 1:40 PM.
    Maurice

I haven't had any issues with the lee valley plane, it's actually a spectacular little plane. If one was concerned about the depth stop, coarse sandpaper around the post of the depth stop in a circular fashion would improve grip.

It's fine for anything that you cut grooves on , except maybe very heavy 1/2" grooves in hardwood, and it's fantastically precise.

I'd have a wooden plow as an addition for larger grooves, or even a stanley 45, before I'd pay more than the LV plow costs. I didn't even know LN was making a plow plane, but googled it and the pictures of what may be a prototype online are pretty gross looking compared to the very nice castings of the millers patent planes, but looks aren't everything.

Buying a wooden plow plane can be a bit of a trick, though, at least getting one with good matching irons. It's still the route I'd go (or did go).

Post deleted.
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 01-20-2014 at 5:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Hilton, the word I got was that the LN version will run $250-ish.
    There was also talk a few years ago the LV was developing a large plow (plough) plane. That was back in 2011, and I wonder if that got canned, or whether the LN version will spur Rob & Co. on to bring it to market.
    that's not too bad then. strike my negative opinion about prices.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    that's not too bad then. strike my negative opinion about prices.
    David, that's a pre-production price. Who knows what will happen when reality hits.
    Maurice

Yeah, until then people can get the LV plow and get work done without issue at a known price.

And a wooden plow.

if you get a wooden plow that can cut all the way to the fence, then you can just get the wooden plow. I doubt anyone with a good wooden plow would ever have a desire for a metal one.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Yeah, until then people can get the LV plow and get work done without issue at a known price.

And a wooden plow.

if you get a wooden plow that can cut all the way to the fence, then you can just get the wooden plow. I doubt anyone with a good wooden plow would ever have a desire for a metal one.
    Good points, David.
    Maurice

Just to belabor it (don't people usually say "not to belabor it"?)...

.. it's not always easy to get a great wooden plow plane on the first try, sometimes you have to get a couple. I don't know where someone would go to get one now, but the two I got, one came from ebay a while ago ($100 including irons) and another one from Chris Vandiver (I can't remember what that one was).

Something in the $150 range with matched irons is probably a good target. IF you have to get two to get a good one, then that's fine. You can resell the first. I just prefer to use them when I can, the wooden fence is nicer and they feel more like a running shoe and less like a cement boot, if you know what i mean.

I like the running shoe comparison. I might investigate a few wood plows tomorrow. At least attempt to. Going down to Pittsboro to visit the vintage tool store above Roy Underhill's school. We'll see what I find. Good thing there, is that you can try out anything you want to. He always has a good supply of the Stanley versions in metal, and occassionally a few woodies.
    Maurice

Just a FYI, Garrett Wade sells old English wooden plow planes - just an alternative to ebay

http://www.garrettwade.com/antique-e...ne/p/02D12.06/

I haven't bought one from them but they have the planes and the irons and I would expect something purchased from GW would be a good worker. If not I'd bet they would take care of you - something you can't always count on from ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    I believe (and I'm not certain) that the expansion kit was developed instead...again, not sure if that's the case.

Love the small plow though! I think its one of the most point on shoot tools out there. I've never had any issue with the size or the depth stop on mine...though I think I did rough up the post right away, as I do that with any locking post like that.

If you don't have an immediate need for a plow though there is nothing wrong with waiting and seeing which one suits you best(assuming that it is on the very near horizon) Sounds like the prices will be pretty comparable. Given that you'll have it for the rest of your woodworking life its not a bad idea to get the one that calls to you most strongly.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I have to hone it up and really put it to use, but Lee Richmond at The Best Things hooked me up with a plough and some matched irons after contacting him at Zach's suggestion. I don't remember the exact price, it was a little bit higher than I might have gotten on the open market, but it was worth it for Lee to get me a set of irons that he believes will fit the plane and match well enough to use the same wedge. The eventual plan was/is to make my own plane like Derek did - now I don't know if I'll ever get there.

Depth stops are nice, but for the longest time, I used my Mujingfang without one. When I really needed one, I double-stick-taped a piece of thin stock next to the skate, but most of the time, my grooves just need to be "deep enough" without going through - not overly difficult.

I have an old "Alumo" weatherstripping plane with an 1/8th iron that I pretty much leave set up to cut box and drawer grooves - It's handy enough, I've been thinking about making a couple fixed-fence planes, maybe an 1/8th" and a 1/4", for drawer bottom grooves.

For wider grooves, I have a couple wider-ish irons for my mujingfang, which isn't the most ergonomic plane, so maybe that colors my experience, but I always found it easier to do a couple of thin grooves to define the edges, and snap out any waste in the middle and then clean up quickly with a bevel down chisel. I can rip a pretty deep groove pretty darn quickly with a very narrow cutter and not much effort.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    I purchased a wooden plow plane from the Sawmill Creek classified section. It came with one iron, 1/2" IIRC. I since bought some irons on line and they don't fit. I can grind the width to fit, but the escarpment (? is that the proper term) is close, but the skate does not fit the irons in the plane. I'm thinking the skate can be modified to fit the irons.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? The plane is useless without irons to fit.