Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen Plow Plane

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I purchased a wooden plow plane from the Sawmill Creek classified section. It came with one iron, 1/2" IIRC. I since bought some irons on line and they don't fit. I can grind the width to fit, but the escarpment (? is that the proper term) is close, but the skate does not fit the irons in the plane. I'm thinking the skate can be modified to fit the irons.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? The plane is useless without irons to fit.
    That's the problem. The planes were built around the set of irons and the irons range over a wide number of styles. Phil Edwards was going to make some plough planes around some vintage sets of irons - was emailing him about it before I went into the hospital and had to change email addresses so I don't know what become of the project.

Blog Entries
    I doubt anyone with a good wooden plow would ever have a desire for a metal one.
    I have a wooden plough that I used for a few years. Now I much prefer my Stanley 45s and a Stanley 50. For me they are much easier to set up, but as always,YMMV!!!.jpg

Maybe if my only purpose was to plow slots or rabbets the woodie would be great. Though it really isn't very good at rabbets of 1/2" or larger.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Maurice. Have you seen the video of it in use? Start at about 3 minute in on this video (a little sooner to see the new honing guide). It does indeed seem very well designed. The shaving ejection on looks particularly impressive.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...-america-2013/
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Looks a lot better in that video than some of the images I feel like I had seen previously floated around on line. Hard to tell from the picks, but darn, he's using a much shallower cut than I do when I'm plowing a tiny groove like that, though! I'm used to a groove like that taking half as long, and sounding like a zipper-from-hell during the cut. And the curls coming off getting wrapped around my wrist in the process, and the cat dragging off one of them to chase around the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Maurice. Have you seen the video of it in use? Start at about 3 minute in on this video (a little sooner to see the new honing guide). It does indeed seem very well designed. The shaving ejection on looks particularly impressive.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...-america-2013/
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Looks a lot better in that video than some of the images I feel like I had seen previously floated around on line. Hard to tell from the picks, but darn, he's using a much shallower cut than I do when I'm plowing a tiny groove like that, though! I'm used to a groove like that taking half as long, and sounding like a zipper-from-hell during the cut. And the curls coming off getting wrapped around my wrist in the process, and the cat dragging off one of them to chase around the room.
    I think we could get more people to take the tools seriously if they saw them in authentic use like that. Most of the shavings that come out of my rabbet and plow plane are broken all over because of the thickness you describe.

Well, I saw the video, and quite frankly, don't see why I wouldn't go for a 43, or 45 if I were to pick up a metal body plow. I would like T&G capability, but there are options out there.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Yeah. I would legitimately be interested in seeing a video of that thing taking some serious hogging cuts. That would give a much better picture of the its chip ejection as well as any possible advantage of the larger size. I don't have any intention of parting with my LV plow but I'm still intrigued by the idea of seeing the LN getting some real use. I'm sure CS or someone will post a video of more typical use when it gets released. I'm also curious to see what blade sizes it will have, what it will come with (I assume base price will just be with a 1/4") and how additional blades cost.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 01-20-2014 at 7:59 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I've heard that T&G cutters are not going to be offered.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    I've heard that T&G cutters are not going to be offered.
    That doesn't really surprise me. It requires and additional skate and they already make two T&G planes. I'd have hard time parting with my T&G cutters on my small plow. Not that I wouldn't like a dedicated T&G plane...I'd actually really love to have a dedicated Stanley or LN49 since most my T&G is in 1/2" stock and it would be nice not to have to change the plow over, but I'd still want my tongue cutters for my plow for those rare occasions time when I'm cutting T&Gs in 3/4 or for where I am cutting an 1/8" t&g in thin 3/8 or less stock...its nice to be able to cover all my needed sizes without buying multiple planes.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 01-20-2014 at 8:20 PM.

So Chris, did you go with the full LV Small Plow kit, or did you just select the cutters you wanted?
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    So Chris, did you go with the full LV Small Plow kit, or did you just select the cutters you wanted?
    I have the full kit. But, full disclosure, I didn't buy it. I DID buy the small plow with the original full set of blades, but the wide blade attachment, all the wide blades, and all 3 tongue blade were given to me for evaluation of the tool and the instruction manual. I just recently bought the blade role too which is definitely great to have.

I really like having all 3 t&g size and have used all 3 on projects, but I can only think of one time I've used the wide blades though (if I didn't have rabbet plane they'd likely see more use) However, at the point you are buying the attachment and more then a couple additional blades a la carte its only about $40 more to just buy the whole thing, so its probably worthwhile to do so if you have any inclination that you might use the wide blades too. On the flip side if you don't think you'll ever use the wide blades and don't think you'll ever need to cut anything other 1/4 and/or 3/16 t&G a la carte might be the way to go.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 01-20-2014 at 8:41 PM.

I have a LV small plow and I did have to rough up the depth stop post but have never had any further problems with it. I consider waiting for the LN version but decided that I wanted the T&G blades which I now use all the time. I ended up getting the complete set because by the time I added up the cost of just buying the blades I wanted it was nearly the same. Living in Australia I can always sell the LV for more that I paid for it and get the LN if it turns out I want it.

Just saw your post. I was at a LN tool event in Brooklyn on January 3rd. Deneb said the plane would be coming out very soon. (early Feb.) Well it is now almost April and no plow plane. I sent an email to LN earlier this week, March 25th or so, and they basically said it will be ready when it is ready.

Pete

I have had the LV Small Plow Plane for about six months now and I love it. I never had a problem with the depth stop, but I roughed it up with sandpaper, just in case. I have used it for drawer bottom grooving (smaller work) up to panel grooving on a Side Board (larger work). I never had a problem with size. In fact I never even knew that some considered it too small. I love it and would buy it again in a flash.

I have had no problem with my Plow plane and the depth stop works without any roughing up. Do some of you hold the tool too tight and too hard down? If the cutter is sharp, there is no need too press the tool too hard down and the force should be on the pushing.

So far, none of my projects couldn't be handled by the so called small plow and I don't see any need for a large one as in those odd cases, I would turn to my tailed router.

Finally, had I waited for the LN plow to come out, I would not have had any plow plane experience for the past three years. LN has kept us in the dark on this and like other new product releases in the past, their record of timing hasn't been good, to say the least. Still waiting to hear more about the new honing jig. It may not be a fair comparison, but when one sees a prototype tool at a LV booth in shows, one can tell the date you can order it is not years away. I can't justify waiting for a LN tool when the company is not telling me enough for me to decide if I should wait.

In fact, I think any vendor, save the one owner or very small starting entity, shouldn't put out a prototype tool if it doesn't plan to or can't bring it to the market within a reasonable amount of time. To me it's 6 months or, in the case of unforeseen circumstances affecting tool development and production, a year.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-30-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: extra comment