Thread: Decided on my LN purchase

Decided on my LN purchase

So I finally decided on what I will be spending my LN gift certificate on. I chose the Tapered Dovetail saw, the Tapered Cross cut Carcase Saw and #4 1/2 with a 50deg frog. I placed the order last Monday expecting a couple days to process the order and couple days to ship which would have got me my new toys by the weekend. It took me till Friday to check my junk email folder to find an email stating that all my toys were on back order for 2weeks. Hopefully I will get them for next weekend... :-/

Yeah, I had that when ordering my bevel up jack a few years back. From what I've heard, it's actually easier to order from Craftsmanstudio - you know immediately what's in stock. Back orders suck, but from what I've gathered, LN is pretty spot on with their backorder times, but I wish they were better about letting you know what was in stock before you ordered.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I had an LN gift certificate so I had to order direct from them. I don't really mind the 2 week lead time (considering some of the other saw makers are several months out) it just would have been nice to know up front. I'll check out craftsman studio next time!

Tom, I just picked up a tapered DT Saw at their tool event in Raleigh last Friday. I REALLY like it! I'm sure you will enjoy yours too.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Back orders suck, but from what I've gathered, LN is pretty spot on with their backorder times, but I wish they were better about letting you know what was in stock before you ordered.
    Lee Valley have this down pat and makes processing a cart much easier. What they need to work on is a system where you can be notified when a product is available again (in the event that the order button is removed).

I don't like the 'what's new' page on the Lie-Nielsen website. It makes monitoring the site very difficult.

Congrats on your choice Tom, I have the DT saw and it's pretty sweet to say the least.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Nice. Big fan of LN saws. Had a chance to use 14" tapered xcut saw at a show this year. It's a sublime saw..the length and proportion just make it a dream to use at the bench.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I was going to get the dovetail saw and the tenon saw but figured the DT saw should be able to fill that void temporarally till I could save up to get a tenon saw, so I went with the crosscut saw. I would also like hybrid sash saw so I will be looking into one of them as well.

On a side note, sort of, I got the email that my order has shipped! Should be here Monday! I'll check back in once the arrive and the see some wood!

Blog Entries
    I just got my LN Froe in the mail today, it is a beauty. No log in my yard is safe.

I received my new toys... I mean tools... yesterday and I was able to make some saw dust and shavings. I am very happy with my decisions as well as Lie-Nielsen. They told me my items were back ordered for 2 weeks, I received the tools 13 days after I placed the order and it would have been sooner if it wasn't for the weekend. Packaging was as I expected - excellent.

The 2 saws fit my big mitts great, I was a little worried because based on some other saw makers websites I should order XL Handles if I ever order one of their saws.

The DT Saw is awesome! I cut to my line on the first 4 tail cuts I made, I missed my line on one of the pin cuts by a tiny amount. This was a single tail on a 54" long top rail/web for a vanity I'm building and the saw was about 15" above my moxon vise, I was sawing with one hand and stabilizing the piece with the other. I was very happy with the results of the cuts.

The Crosscut Saw is awesome! It cuts way better than my skills. Almost every cut I made drifted off my line as I cut down (it would seem I lean the top of the saw to the left). It drifts to the waste side of the cut so 4-5 passes on the chute board and I'm good. I need to keep practicing...

The #4.5 with 50deg frog is awesome! Its very heavy, by feel I think it is heavier than my old #7. It cut 0.001" shaving on nasty flat sawn red oak out of the box. I then hit the back of the blade with some 2000 grit wet/dry on my granite plate. Then I locked it in my honing guide to put a 30deg (25deg factory grind, then added 5deg for a total of 30deg) micro bevel on it. I went back to the red oak and could get shavings that according to my caliper were more than 0.000" but less than 0.001" I would guess about a half a thou, that red oak that thin pretty much just falls apart. The surface looked like you could ice skate on it!

I also gave the 4.5 a try on the chute board. better results than I get with any of my other planes which I did not expect because it has the high angle frog. The mass really helps I think. Now that I have the LN #4.5 off my bucket list I have added a shooting plane to the list. I can only imagine how well a plane made for the task will perform!

I will definitely purchase LN again I might consider going to one of the 3rd party vendors to save on shipping (some offer free shipping).

I contemplated calling in sick today just so I could stay home and keep building! Then I remembered if I want any more of these gourmet tools I need to keep at my day job...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Drooooool...

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)