Thread: Shirt lint getting stuck in wood veneer jewelry

Shirt lint getting stuck in wood veneer jewelry

Hello, this is my first post outside engravers forum.

I am currently designing some jewelry made out of birch and walnut veneer (1,5mm thick) and the problem I've ran into, is that when I wear the pendant, small pieces of lint from "hairy" shirts get stuck on the wood veneer. I don't have any special woodworking equipment/machinery at hand (I use a laser cutter/engraver to get the jewelry done) and the finishing process should be quite simple so it can be done quite fast and won't slow the process down to much.

The veneer that I use come straight out from the reseller, so it has not been sanded or finished in any way. It's just raw wood, no ply layers added. I glue the two wood veneers on top of each other to form a 2ply layer. The price of a ready pendant will be around 10-20€ including the chain and packaging, so not too much work per pendant can be done.

Will a fine grain hand sanding do the trick or could someone point me to the right direction, in which method I should use to get rid of this problem?

Thank you!

- Henri
    Henri Sallinen
    Cardboard designer with a Epilog Helix 24 60w + Gunnar Matboard Cutter + Heidelberg Windmill letterpress

Sanding should help. I'd sand the material when it is a big sheet, before you cut it into pendants. Depending on the condition of the veneer, hand sanding might do the trick. You might eventually find you want to buy a small power sander to do the job.

Thanks for your feedback! I tried some Liberon wax and light sanding, and the lint won't get stuck at all anymore. I also get a nice white tone on the birch like this!
    Henri Sallinen
    Cardboard designer with a Epilog Helix 24 60w + Gunnar Matboard Cutter + Heidelberg Windmill letterpress