Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Testing a Kobalt Mill File

Testing a Kobalt Mill File

As promised,I went to Lowe's and paid the extraordinary price of $8.98 for a CHINESE made 8" mill file. I think the last time I bought a USA Nicholson it was less than that. But,since I hoard files,that info might be out dated.

My quest has been to find a decent file that can be had locally,regardless of origin.

I had just uncorked a NOS USA 8" single cut Nicholson smooth file. It made a good standard to compare for the test.

The Kobalt is not as finely cut as the Nicholson(Nick from now on). It did not feel as sharp under the thumb as the Nick. I tried the Kobalt on a piece of cold rolled mild steel. It did not feel sharp. The Nick WANTED to cut. The Kobalt just felt like it had been used quite a bit. Also,for some reason,the Kobalt would leave a scratchy surface at the slightest provocation,while the Nick easily left the nice surface I have expected all these years.

As a final insult,I tried the Harbor Freight file with the ugly plastic handle,and the coarser cut teeth(more of a bastard cut). It actually CUT BETTER than the Kobalt. It cost what? $2.00? I wish HF offered a finer cut 8" mill file to test.

So,once again,I have failed to find a decent,easily gotten local file for you guys. Personally,I do not need any new files as I am also,in addition to my other tool pigging,a file pig. My efforts have been to help all of you.

The Kobalt is going back to Lowe's. I don't know how they can charge as much for a Chinese file as I have paid for American files of the same type. Hopefully,home owners are sharpening their lawn mowers with a bench grinder,and not this file.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-23-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks for the heads up. You just saved me the price of one. It's a sad state of affairs when one has to search for a useable file. The last decent MB file I bought was from NAPA of all places, but that was a couple years ago.

Regards, Lamar

This is a common complaint. It is somewhat surprising that the manufacturing industry would tolerate this state a state of affairs from such a staple consumable.

Who are most of the customers? Ordinary non craftsmen who need to file something only very occasionally.

Here's how bad it is: I had built up the very best industrial arts shop in the whole area when I got the job offer from Williamsburg. The principal was a nice person,but not the most intelligent guy I ever met. His whole mind was on the sports program at the high school. He mentioned to me that he wanted to hire a part time coach and part time industrial arts teacher. I told him that would be a very bad idea.

He hired his coach. A few years later,one of my best students visited me in Williamsburg. He told me he gave up on the guy when he tried to sharpen a table saw blade with a wood rasp.

I don't think the Chinese know how to present the chisel to the file when cutting the teeth. I think they use too steep an angle,and slightly bend the tips of the teeth backwards,giving their files that already dull feeling.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-22-2014 at 7:55 PM.

I got 20 slightly used/practically NOS Nicholsons from the former employee of a local firearms company after the company offshored manufacturing to China. They used them by the case--then threw them out, where this industrious guy dumpster-dove them-- but at any rate, there are some industries that have handwork and a necessity for sound tools on a regular basis. Funny thing, now that the manufacturing is offshored, they should still presumably need adequate files . . . .

I have pretty much given up on trying to find good products local. I would say I buy 98 percent of my tools on the internet because I have a better selection and I can somewhat count on it being a quality tool.... To bad its come to this because I would like to support the local economy. Tool wise woodcraft and rockler are more than a hour drive. Tools made in china drive me crazy I wish there seems to be no kind of consistence quality control must not be a priority for sure. I find it interesting that you can bring a product over on a boat and it still cheeper than a product produced in America.

Hi George

Just wanted to add my thanks for your efforts on everyone's behalf.

I don't want to hijack the thread but this seems like a review that would attract file aficionados

I'm personally looking for files primarily to shape wood. It's really tough to learn much about files. Internet searches turn up everything except info on tools called files. I'm 99% sure my HS shop teacher was a football coach. I could be wrong, he have been a wrestling coach but I didn't learn much there.

I'd like to understand not just what brand might be good, but what type of files would be useful and what's important when selecting a file. What cut, what size, what shape for what uses? When is a file dull? I'm virtually clueless.

I have a set of older HF quality double cut files and 1 nicer single cut Nicholson but it's often too large too fine. Maybe I'm using poor search terms, but I'm not finding much on the web.

PS: Thanks George. I've learned something useful about HF and Kobalt files already.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

HD sells the Nicholson files. Have you tested their models yet George, or is that where you got yours?

The mexican nicholson files are OK. But OK is the appropriate word for them. by FAR the best way to get decent mill files is to buy NOS simonds USA and other such files on ebay, and buy a box of them. Often, a half dozen will cost what two would have cost new.

I'd assume that the buyers for the kobalt files are the types of people who read a diy article that tells them to file something that's copper or brass and they slough through whatever they're doing just assuming that "filing something is really hard, and it only works easy on TV" (where someone is using a proper file).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread but this seems like a review that would attract file aficionados

I'm personally looking for files primarily to shape wood. It's really tough to learn much about files. Internet searches turn up everything except info on tools called files. I'm 99% sure my HS shop teacher was a football coach. I could be wrong, he have been a wrestling coach but I didn't learn much there.

I'd like to understand not just what brand might be good, but what type of files would be useful and what's important when selecting a file. What cut, what size, what shape for what uses? When is a file dull? I'm virtually clueless.

I have a set of older HF quality double cut files and 1 nicer single cut Nicholson but it's often too large too fine. Maybe I'm using poor search terms, but I'm not finding much on the web.

PS: Thanks George. I've learned something useful about HF and Kobalt files already.
    If you're filing wood, go to a flea market and look for bigger files with fairly large partially worn teeth on them. They will file wood well and not catch too much, and be totally worthless to anyone filing metal (and thus cheaper for you). It's not uncommon to find tool box trays filled with used files around here that are like that for $1 each or sometimes $1 for 5, and they work well. Just don't get one that's covered with rust.

HD sells Nicholson files. But,they are HECHO EN MEXICO. I have written about them. The 12 I got were very nice looking,well cut,beautiful looking. But,they were so soft I easily filed a 45 degree angle on the front of them to a width of 1/32" WITH AN OLD USA made Nicholson before I hit the hard core. This is well below the depth of the teeth.

I only hope the Mexican maker learns how to protect their files from decarbing eventually. I am not wasting money to find out when this happens. Cooper Tools has made it impossible to contact. I have tried. There seems to be no way to tell them that their files are soft. Perhaps they don't want to know. I think they just want to make as much money as possible running the brand name into the ground selling shoddy files. That is my opinion,of course. So many old brand names are being ruined that way. Gibson Guitars was run into the ground until they became hard to sell,I suppose. Finally,a new owner bought the company,and has been working toward restoring the quality and image.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-23-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Cooper Tools has made it impossible to contact. I have tried.
    Me, too. They don't answer questions that I submit through their information request form. I think they just don't care.

Hardly anyone goes into a large depatment-type home store looking for a file to do any sort of delicate or fine artisan work with! People think files sharpen axes and lawnmower blades! Everything else gets the angle grinder.

Cooper doesnt care- They have multi million dollar contracts with multiple mega retailers. Theyre probably busy answering Home Depots emails demanding their files cost .07 less per piece starting in 2015 or other such garbage.

Im sorry to tell you guys this but a big box store was NEVER a place to get the best consumable tools. Think about the sandpaper there. Its expensive and its the basic red garnet stuff. The drill bits are sub par. The wood stain and finishes suck. Maybe they carried US made files there at one point. Totally circumstantial! Nicholson made their fair share of junk in the US. Those pattern rasps have been bad for a long time. Think of their plastic handled chisel/files.

Blog Entries
    George,

Thanks for the write up.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)