Thread: No. 77 Is On Fire...

No. 77 Is On Fire...

...fiery and flaming Box Elder.

Made this little Box Elder bowel at the same time as the ER-Cedar bowl but even though It was rather punky it didn't give nearly the grief the cedar one did. Treated the whole bowl with Cactus Juice which took care of the punky part. After that it turned like a dream(if you like dusty dreams). I wonder what effect the Cactus Juice will have on the red color longevity if any.

It's got a little different shape plus it had some voids that I filled with Perl-ex colored Alumilite(the large dark red area).

Material = Flame Box Elder
    Finish = SG-WOP and then Beal triple buff.
    Diameter = 6.75
    Height = 2"
    Wall Thickness = 1/4"-3/8"

IMG_7628_7_9_Detail.jpgIMG_7631_0_2_Detail.jpgIMG_7634_3_5_Detail.jpgIMG_7637_6_8_Detail.jpg

C&C Welcomed
    Thanks for looking.

"The best things in life are not things."

Wow that`s Gorgeous James! Just Love the way that looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    Wow that`s Gorgeous James! Just Love the way that looks.
    Thanks Dok, got a ton of this stuff and need to get some more of it turned. It's a real shame that it doesn't hold it's color over time.

James, all too often people ask for C&C and all they get is "nice, I like it, and good job". Not that people don't mean it. But none of us grow with that. So, here are my thoughts:

FBE...what's not to like? Beautiful wood, and like you said, shame it doesn't last. Doesn't stop me from turning it, though... I'm not a fan of the shape, but that doesn't make it bad. As long as the inside shape of the walls follows the outside shape (which it looks like you did, but hard to tell exactly), it isn't out of proportion. Pics of the inside of the bowl make it look like the finish is SUPER shiny (maybe a little too much so) and possibly a little...thick. Again, pics can be deceiving, so that might not be the case. But it is so shiny, it looks almost wet. I certainly think there is a time and place for shiny (I actually really like super shiny on a lot of items). I know you said this piece was punky, so my next comment may be a direct result of the punkiness, but there are some tool marks on the inside of the bowl on the walls, kind of near the rim. It is most likely tear out (from the wood being punky). In my opinion, that ruins a turning. You "have" to get rid of them. If you can't with tools, then you need to by sanding. But they DO need to be removed. It looks like you did a great job with filling the void. I didn't even realize it was a fill spot (just thought it was more flame). And the bottom pic of the bowl looks great. I also like the little detail you put in the center of the bottom where you signed it. These are just my two cents. You get what you pay for (and you haven't even paid me yet! ).
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    James, all too often people ask for C&C and all they get is "nice, I like it, and good job". Not that people don't mean it. But none of us grow with that. So, here are my thoughts:

FBE...what's not to like? Beautiful wood, and like you said, shame it doesn't last. Doesn't stop me from turning it, though... I'm not a fan of the shape, but that doesn't make it bad. As long as the inside shape of the walls follows the outside shape (which it looks like you did, but hard to tell exactly), it isn't out of proportion. Pics of the inside of the bowl make it look like the finish is SUPER shiny (maybe a little too much so) and possibly a little...thick. Again, pics can be deceiving, so that might not be the case. But it is so shiny, it looks almost wet. I certainly think there is a time and place for shiny (I actually really like super shiny on a lot of items). I know you said this piece was punky, so my next comment may be a direct result of the punkiness, but there are some tool marks on the inside of the bowl on the walls, kind of near the rim. It is most likely tear out (from the wood being punky). In my opinion, that ruins a turning. You "have" to get rid of them. If you can't with tools, then you need to by sanding. But they DO need to be removed. It looks like you did a great job with filling the void. I didn't even realize it was a fill spot (just thought it was more flame). And the bottom pic of the bowl looks great. I also like the little detail you put in the center of the bottom where you signed it. These are just my two cents. You get what you pay for (and you haven't even paid me yet! ).
    Thanks Mike, yours is exactly the kind of C&C I like and every issue you covered will be addressed on future turnings. Just one comment on this one, I normally finish with semi-gloss WOP but had an urge to try my Beal buffing system which I hadn't used for a year or so. I looked better before the buffing.

Well, James, I was glad to give my two cents, and glad you received it well. I'm guessing that the reason you haven't gotten more feedback is because many people don't feel comfortable giving critical thoughts. They don't want to offend (who can blame them), and also, many people don't feel like they are qualified to critique. I'm by all means not implying that I am the be all and end all, or the authority on critiquing. I'm just not afraid to give my two cents when asked for it.

I'd hoped that others would chime in with their thoughts. I'm also guessing that I scared all your "Good job"s and "I like it"s away! Sorry...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    ...I'd hoped that others would chime in with their thoughts. I'm also guessing that I scared all your "Good job"s and "I like it"s away! Sorry...
    I suppose it is possible but it's not a problem, I got no problem with "atta-boys" but real critiques can lead to improvements, besides, a John Keaton I'm not(nor anyone else for that matter). Thanks again for looking(closely)