Thread: air cleaner placement

air cleaner placement

I am hanging my air cleaner today...does this look like a good place? I am linited as to ceiling space what with overhead pipes and SD's
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim,
    From my limited knowledge, and with how I've hung mine, it helps to create a circular air movement thoughout the space. Having said that, the other bit of advice is that it also helps to have the intake pointed at the main dust generator.

My shop is rectagular, so the circulation was not hard to figure out.
    Maurice

Great, except turn it around to reverse the flow. The dust collector will generate most of the dust in your shop just from the air flow through it.

CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James
    Great, except turn it around to reverse the flow. The dust collector will generate most of the dust in your shop just from the air flow through it.

CPeter
    hmmmmm...since the DC is not yet hooked up, I didn't even think about that. I don't want to turn it around because I want to suck dust away from the table saw so i don't breath it in....I will have to ponder this for the afternoon. Thanks. I might need to rethink my DC placement.

The best advise I was given was to place it so it pulled the dust away from you - not past you so you'll end up breathing it.
    My shop is small enough that an air flow pattern wasn't the concern. The unit (a home made job) is placed above my dust collector and with the exception of one tool pulls the dust away from me.

FWIW
    Wes

You definately want it to draw dust away. Mine is placed so that the intake is at the back end of the saw and the exhaust is facing the front of the saw. That keeps the fresh air on me.

You could move it to the side wall next to the saw. You should move it to the right so that the exhaust is on the last 1/3 of the wall.

The other thing is to make sure that is creates the circular flow (race track) around the shop. I sometimes add a box fan to help with the circulation if I'm doing a lot of sanding or high dust operations.

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Gabbay; 06-14-2005 at 3:52 PM. Reason: update placement

Tim, just a simple thought: I use my Jet air cleaner 95% of the time AFTER I leave the shop. It has a built in timer w remote (you could rig one up if u have to) and will run 2 or 4 or 6 Hours. When you return, fan is off and the ambient dust is gone. Just a humble idea.
    Jerry

Left out

Tim forgot to mention: saw the BoSox-Cubs game Saturday and various parts of my family attended all 3 games. Cathy's sister and her daughter flew in from NE for the games. Many New Englanders were here and the crowd generally behaved. No animosity like in a Yankee game. Great to meet many of the diehard RedSox fans in the local pubs. Wakefield was awesome Sunday and Saturday was agreat game. They booth need pitching as Theo said. Enjoy your aircleaner! Jerry
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    Tim forgot to mention: saw the BoSox-Cubs game Saturday and various parts of my family attended all 3 games. Cathy's sister and her daughter flew in from NE for the games. Many New Englanders were here and the crowd generally behaved. No animosity like in a Yankee game. Great to meet many of the diehard RedSox fans in the local pubs. Wakefield was awesome Sunday and Saturday was agreat game. They booth need pitching as Theo said. Enjoy your aircleaner! Jerry
    Sounds like it was a fun weekend at Wrigley....watching the game right now, bith a cold beer to beat this humid weather,,,they seem to be turning a corner this week...lets hope it can continue. Would be nice to see them play better on the road.

I do have a remote for the AC and i plan on using it like you said...leaving it on after i am done....but I also want to direct some of the dust away from me when I'm using my table saw.

looks good to me...that is about where mine is and it works pretty good when I remember to use it.

lou