Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frigid temps and turning wood

When I built my work shop - mid 90's , I put in 6 inch insulation in the walls, 12 inches in the ceiling/roof and 10 inches in the floor in anticipation of colder climate and only use one 6 foot base board heater near the only window. A few years back it dropped into the minus and I could only get 68degress out of the heater in the shop. I did not use the dust collector (as it dumps out side) and the thru vent from the house is open only when the wood stove was lit so the collector pulls heat from the house . Being older , it seems I can never get warm ... wish I could go to Hawaii for the winter ....
    John 3:16

Maybe 5 years ago I had a HVAC company install a Hot Dawg natural gas heater in my garage. It mounts up high against the rafters so it doesn't take up floor space, it's fully sealed and vents to the outside, it has a programmable thermostat so I can set the temperature to whatever I like. If memory serves it was around $1,200 to $1,500 installed, but afterwards I wondered why I waited so long. That heater is worth every penny and has allowed me to work in the garage whenever I want no matter what the weather outside.

My garage is insulated (walls, ceiling, doors) which is the first step of course. I set the thermostat for 45 degrees at night so glue, machines, etc., won't freeze, and in the morning when I go out I wear a flannel shirt and can heat the whole place in 10 min. No more bundling up in multiple layers, no working in a coat, hat, and gloves, no cold tools.

I used to have a propane heater, but it took up floor space for the heater and propane bottle, it smells, I had to leave a door cracked for fresh air (which defeats the purpose in the first place. I'm trying to heat the garage but I have to leave a door open and let cold air in?), and at the end of the day I would have a headache from the propane. So if anything from a safety standpoint the Hot Dawg was a good investment.

Weather in bismarck has been up & down yesterday morning _19 today at 2 pm temp 42 above nice & warm shop n g & elec heat

louis

I did the same thing as Paul when I built my shop. I have 2" styrofoam and then 6" of insulation in the walls and 24" in the attic. I keep my heater at 68* during the day when I am out there and keep it 55* at night. The wood shop only gets heated when I turn the vent on. It was 42* in there the other morning when it was 7 below. In about a hour after turning the vent on it was 67*. I keep the other part of the shop warmer because I also do clock repair out there and can't let it get to cold. I am using a 60,000 BTU Hot Dawg.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

What ever you do don't look at the 10 day forecast for my area: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...A+93940:4:USIt is warmer now than summer time. We usually get fog and misty fog for the summer. But we are going for a drought. I would rather have cold weather (in the 40s, that is cold for us) than have drought. I will trade you guys some of our warm weather for rain, but none of that cold white garbage you have to shovel. Hope you all thaw out soonKarl

Yes, it has put a damper on my turning. I need to do some shop upgrades this year, new siding and insulation, as well as windows.
    I tried to do some today....just could not handle the cold.

When we bought the house the one thing I said was walk-out basement.SWMBO said laundry on the floor with the bedrooms so,My shop is 69* year around all day everyday no steps and a 36" door.Only bad thing is all the work I had to do to put the laundry over one corner of my shop. I built a 24 x 24 garage for the 2 cars and all the junk you would have in the basement now my shop is 24 x 29 which is 2/3s of the basement and 1/3 is the SWMBO's glass shop stained and hot glass both.
    Last edited by Harry Robinette; 01-25-2014 at 9:19 PM.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

You chaps over there have got it nice and comfortable. We have just had a heat wave
    with more to come. Temperatures up to 45 degrees Celsius.
    When travelling in the car I put the heater on, just to cool down (lol).

It is downright dangerous to attempt any turning in the "man shed" where the
    temperature just cannot be tolerated.

Stay safe.

Alan
    My wife and I had words, but I didn't get to use mine.

He Alan you can have some of mine in exchange for some of yours .

Mind you my shop is 45F and when I'm not there, and gets cozy real quick when I turn the hanging propane heater on, blowing the warm air all over the shop, as you see the temps here for the coming days are just the regular for this time of year here, and yes the snow we got in late November is still here, + all the rest of it after that, just a couple of feet deep

Atikokan temps.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Anyone besides me finding that all this cold weather is putting a damper on turning the last week or so? I have wanted to get into my shop for turning, but because of the frigid temps, snow and ice, I find that things like shoveling snow and cold conditions inside my shop has me just waiting for a thaw.

The mid-atlantic and northeast has gotten weather like the northern tier of the country usually gets......burrrr! I guess I don't tolerate the cold as good as I use to ...........

The "last week or so,,,,,,,,,,,,,man I haven't been able to do ANY turning since Halloween 2013 due to all this dang snow and subarctic temps. Cant wait to get back at it if the ice ever melts off my lathe!
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006