Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A method for making Moxon handwheels

Here's my finished vise. Total capacity between screws is 13.5". Opens to 4". I make a lot of small boxes so the wide capacity is nice for clamping the boxes sideways and cleaning up dovetails. Anything bigger and I'll use my Lee Valley twin screw to clamp it. This thing is smooth as butter and grips like crazy! Great little build.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Hi Ryan,

Nice work! You really came out with a fine looking vise. Now that you've had some time to use it, and if you were to do it over again, would you stick with the 3/4-6 rod, or would you go to the 3/4-8 rod that Benchcrafted uses on their vise? I ask because I'm getting ready to order threaded rod and nuts for my own joinery bench (after seeing Shannon Rogers': http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com...h-small-parts/) and the 3/4-8 rod is readily available at Roton. Maybe some others can comment on their experience with thread pitch on these vises?

Thanks for sharing your project. Very inspiring.

-Mike

For me, it all came down to the cost and availability of the nuts. Roton has a much wider selection than Enco, but costs a lot more (min order of $60 IIRC). I don't mind the thread pitch at all for this application. If you give it a little crank, it's not going anywhere. Maybe you wouldn't have to tighten it as much with a 3/4-8 rod, but I've never felt the goodness of a Benchcrafted vise, so I wouldn't know the difference anyhow.

If you are ordering from Roton, you can get all sorts of cool threaded stuff and I'd say, go for what looks good. I was trying to keep my Moxon cheap, so I went the Enco route, which only has one nut thread type.