Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sole waxing

Candle, that is all.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Back in the day, grocery stores in my little hometown quit carrying wax around halloween.

How about camillia oil in a holder on the bench? Check out the thread at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...0-Camellia-oil

Canning wax might be seasonal at the grocery stores.

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    They had small squares of low pile carpet on each bench. They saturate them with sheep fat (uggh) and just periodically pass the plane backwards over the carpet.
    In one of my better trades here in the Creek, I received a Lagniappe tin of Mutton Tallow for this purpose.
    I must have knocked it off the bench, while using it. My dog ate the contents.

The aftermath wasn't pretty.

My wax holder

I made a paraffin wax holder that has worked out well. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-etc&highlight= I use it simply by setting my plane on it after several swipes. I try to remember to make the last plane cuts dry to avoid glue or finish issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    In one of my better trades here in the Creek, I received a Lagniappe tin of Mutton Tallow for this purpose.
    I must have knocked it off the bench, while using it. My dog ate the contents.

The aftermath wasn't pretty.
    That's an unfortunate visual.. Lee Valley sells replacements, should you be interested .

I use the Gulf Wax paraffin blocks myself.

Mike

[QUOTE=Some folks have mentioned keeping a "wax station" on the bench. It is either an impregnated rag or a hunk of was that is held in place so the plane can be drawn over it from heel to toe to give a quick waxing without stopping work.

jtk[/QUOTE]

I have looked to no avail for my post in the past where the oldtimers would set a cut off bottle bottom in a hole in a square of scrap wood with some scrap felt rolled up and stuck in it and some BLO to absorb into the felt and when the plane would start to drag, draw it over the felt on the back stroke to lube it, No wasted motion that way.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I had a similar solution as Eric, I believe my plans were from Pop Wood magazine. This one has homemade silicone pads on the feet to keep it in place.

plane waxer.jpgplane waxer1.jpg

Cody Cantrell

I believe what Harry referred to is called a plane wick. Folks use different oils. I like paraffin oil myself. I wouldn't recommend BLO. The rag insert can spontaneously combust with a drying oil. And it will eventually get stickier and stickier as the boiled linseed oil polymerizes. Traditionally it was raw linseed oil that was used. Camilla oil is also a good choice. A strip of old wool from hiking socks rolled up and placed in a round container makes a good wick. Soak it with oil, pass the bottom of your plane over it lightly and you're ready to go. You can also use tallow as a lubricant. It was frequently used to lubricate wooden planes, but works well on metal planes as well. Many old benches had a cup attached underneath to hold tallow or other types of animal fat. The craftsman could quickly dip in a finger and smear a little on the bottom of the plane between passes. If you do perfer to use paste wax, be sure it contains no silicone. Johnson's is one of the few that does not.

I stand corrected Fred, Thank you!
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Plane Wick

I had a similar solution as Eric, I believe my plans were from Pop Wood magazine. This one has homemade silicone pads on the feet to keep it in place.

plane waxer.jpgplane waxer1.jpg

I wrote the article for this plane wick for PWW. Since then I made an extended version, about 20" long, for use with long planes. The inserts are blocks of paraffin used for canning. They work really well and make planning much easier. Once you get used to using one it becomes a necessary tool on the bench. Give it a try!

I wonder if my Pastor saw this thread last week? Cause Sunday's sermon was called "Soul Waxing." I dozed off a bit in the pews before my wife elbowed me, so I didn't really hear what it was about. Maybe God wants my soul to get a Brazilian or something. If unkept hair is like sins, I suppose waxing is just sort of an aggressive baptism? Or maybe, like with a plane sole, a waxed soul can slide more easily over lifes rough spots or even into heaven. Things that make you go ... hmmmm.
    Last edited by Sean Hughto; 01-29-2014 at 11:28 AM.

So my wife tells me I'm nuts and it was really about the old concepts of "waxing and waning" - like the moon. To wax is to increase and intensify and to wane is to diminish. We need to grow our souls and polish them up. And she said, no, the Pastor did not mention Mr. Miyagi or "wax on, wax off."