Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corel Draw setting for glass?

Corel Draw setting for glass?

Several days ago I thought I read something about either a contour or inverting the image before laser engraving it on glass. But now I can't remember where I saw it or what it actually said. Am I way out in left field with this, or is there some trick evolving that stuff?
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

I don't recall the posting you are referring to Not sure why anyone would invert ( make a negative) of an image to print on glass. As for contouring.. that is shaping tool that may be used for just about any graphic but regarding glass specifically.. ????.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Blog Entries
    Any possibility they were referring to etching on the back side of a piece of glass rather than the front side?
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Blog Entries
    Ah, so reversing the image, not inverting it... that would make more sense.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Why wouldn't you invert the image? It seems to me anything black will engrave, giving you a frosted line or area. So you want to invert the image (make it negative) to get your white areas to look frosted and your black area to be clear (and appear darker). You would ALSO want to flip it if you are engraving the back of the glass.

So unless you WANT the black parts of the engraving to appear frosted, you would invert it.

That's my 2¢ FWIW
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    ... unless you WANT the black parts of the engraving to appear frosted, you would invert it.
    On occassion, I have rastered on glass opting for the blacks to be 'frosted'. I have done this when I used ink to fill the frosted areas with black or with color. When I did not intend to fill those areas with ink, I did invert the image before running the job. As Dee indicates, the effect has a better appearance (if not using ink to fill).
    Full Spectrum HL40-5g 45Watt

Blog Entries
    Part of the confusion is the OP has not mentioned (as far as I can tell) whatis being engraved. If it's text, then typically you do not invert B/W... if its an image, then inversion may be necessary to get a proper looking result. When I think of glass, my mind wanders to awards or simple text of one form or another.

You are quite right Dan, I should have said for images or artwork. The actual artwork I had in mind were these:

If I want the black areas to appear darker, I should invert the images correct? If I do that, everything white here (these files have no actual background colors (they are transparent)) will be lasered and appear as frosted on the glass (front engraving in my case) correct?

Also, when I invert one of the images above in Corel, the black ares turn a light gray and nothing happens to the white areas... is that correct?

Thanks again for all the help.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Inverted like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)

The dog fight does not appear to be fair since the Brits are flying a jet...
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    Inverted like this?
    That's not how mine looks in Corel when I use the Invert effect. The white areas stay white and the black areas are turn a light grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    The dog fight does not appear to be fair since the Brits are flying a jet...
    Yeah, lol. That was actually a shot of the artwork with out the prop visible to show the details behind it a little better. The final version does have the prop
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Upton View Post
    That's not how mine looks in Corel when I use the Invert effect. The white areas stay white and the black areas are turn a light grey.
    Change to a 1-bit colorspace before or/after you invert... if black is turning to gray, sounds like you didn't have black to begin with. Also, make sure you're running RGB, not CMYK.

Thanks Dan, I'm new to CD... I'm an AI guy
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

You were correct Dan, even those that artwork was drawn in black in AI, Corel did not show it as true black. I corrected that and now when I invert it, the black artwork turns white and you can no longer see it on the screen. The clear areas did not change, which I expected since there is nothing there to invert. But that leads me to think that if I send this inverted image to the laser, nothing is going to "print".

So does this inverting trick only work on gray scale images like photographs and such?
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Upton View Post
    You were correct Dan, even those that artwork was drawn in black in AI, Corel did not show it as true black. I corrected that and now when I invert it, the black artwork turns white and you can no longer see it on the screen. The clear areas did not change, which I expected since there is nothing there to invert. But that leads me to think that if I send this inverted image to the laser, nothing is going to "print".

So does this inverting trick only work on gray scale images like photographs and such?
    It's a function of the substrate your engraving on, as well as the look you're after. For example, when engraving an award on glass, I want the text to be engraved... so it needs to be black in the image I send to the enngraver. Same with black marble. But we're used to seeing black text on a white background when it's viewed on the screen, so it can be passed directly to the engraver.

An image, however, is usually viewed with light areas viewed as light, dark viewed as dark, etc. If we sent that over to the engraver as is, the dark portions in the image would engrave as a light color (and vice versa). So for photos, it's typical to invert the colors. But what if we're engraving a light substrate, like a piece of white tile? In that case you would likely send the image over "as is" and color fill with black ink... black on the screen appears black on the engraving.