Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hide Glue

Just try a test of the expired liquid hide glue. If it is bad,it will not dry hard. If it is good,it will "Dry hard with a vengeance" and you can make a movie out of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    "Dry hard with a vengeance"

That pun is hilarious.

And that's exactly what happened when I used some Titebond that either expired or went through some freeze-thaw cycles. It never quite dried. Weeks later, it was still sticky.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I mostly use hot hide glue, but in a pinch I have use Olde Brown glue also, it works well but sometimes to get it to flow well it still needs to be warmed up a bit. The Olde Brown glue has a date stamped on the bottle, plus it's pretty easy to know when it has gone bad, by the really bad smell..

To freeze glue tis death!! When I was young,I had to work in an unheated garage. My glue froze and was ruined. After that,I kept it indoors.

I challenge all of you: Who would be the hero of "Dry hard with a vengeance?" I have an answer,but will wait to see what you come up with.

Have you tried freezing freshly mixed hot hide glue, George? It actually works quite well. I pour a batch into ice cube trays, and pop out a cube or two when I need it.

I have not frozen it. I am a little concerned that it might hurt the protein,but perhaps not. If you have used it thus it must work well. What about dehydration? Ice will dehydrate over time. We used to put our laundry out on the clothesline to freeze dry in Alaska. I could fold the frozen dried sheets and they would be like they were ironed. I would want to protect the glue from dehydration if I were to freeze it.

No guesses as to the hero of the movie? I suggest he would have to have good GLUEts.

I only keep the glue in there for about a month or so. Read the article I posted. I stole the idea from Frank Ford. I figured if HE uses it, it must work well It's just too hard to mix up a small batch accurately. I mix up a medium batch, and freeze off what I don't use. 1/2 the time I use it later for something...the other half, I just throw it out. Hide glue is cheap enough that I don't worry about it. I buy it in bulk from TFWW and it's really not very expensive at all. It's about $40 for 5lbs of 192 gram strength, and 5lbs lasts a LONG time for instrument building.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I challenge all of you: Who would be the hero of "Dry hard with a vengeance?" I have an answer,but will wait to see what you come up with.
    It's an all star cast, George:

Tom Glues
    Sean Joinery
    Gerard Depargleux

It's not the cost,it's the convenience factor that you and I are trying to improve. Perhaps freezing the glue in small plastic prescription medicine containers? I wouldn't try glass. It might burst when the glue freezes.

I pour it into an ice cube tray, and pop out a cube when I need it The first time I did it, my wife panicked. "Why is our water so dirty?????". Ha ha...don't use the dirty ice cubes.

I used a crock pot for years, and would still be using it, except early last summer it quit heating. I bought a "Sav-Heat" (think that's the name, but it is the one sold by Highland Hardware and TFWW. Worth it, as far as I'm concerned. I tend to estimate the amount of glue I need, make about 1-1/2 times that amount and end up through a little bit away at the end of the job (stuff is cheap and easy to make). I would really consider the heating vessel!

For small glue-ups, I use Titebond II.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.