Thread: Fabricating Mast Bands

Fabricating Mast Bands

Starting with a salvaged gooseneck screwed and brazed to a mounting block, some 1/8 X 2 silicon bronze strapping, and a bending jig made to fit the strapping's thickness ....

...the bronze is heated red and a 90-degree bend made.

The mast circumference it measured...

...and the distance is derived to the next bend.

The second bend is made so when the band is formed and the two bends butt, they are the derived circumference.

The workpiece is placed in an "oven" and heated to red...

...then while red, bent around a form made to the exact diameter of the mast.

Then the workpiece is placed back into the oven, heated red for a second time, and immediately quenched in water to anneal (soften) it.

Continued….
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

The rough workpiece is cleaned to check for cracks...

...and gently shaped to its final form in place on the mast, which has been padded with tarred cotton friction tape.

Cold forming continues with the gooseneck mounting block in place to mark the cutoffs...

...and pilot holes are drilled in place for the mounting bolt.

The pilot holes are drilled to size in the vise, the assembly buffed, and assembled in place. All that's left to be done is to cut the SS allthread and add the decorative acorn nut.

The jib halyard block is done the same way.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Fantastic Bob. Even though I don't know the first thing about boats, I find your photo essays to be very interesting. Thanks for posting.
    Pete Lamberty

Bob,
    Thanks for the post, sometimes you stop and ask yourself: how did they do this? You gave us a glimpse at another small part that goes into a sailing boat. I agree with Pete, very interesting.<O</O

Effie

Thanks Bob!

I've always loved learning, "how'd they do that" about most anything.

Very cool.

Thanks again,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Moving to Boat Building Forum...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan