Thread: Vintage "paring chisel" on the 'bay . . .

Vintage "paring chisel" on the 'bay . . .

I bought a nice paring chisel from an English seller (who don't seem to have succumbed to the whatever the American sellers have than make them list decent, but not amazing, overcleaned, chisels at 100 bucks a pop) recently. So eBays new homepage shows me auctions that it thinks I might find interesting, based on things I've purchased, I guess.

I'm sure you can pare with it, but this is not what comes to mind for the search terms "paring chisel" . . . .

item number 331114741352 . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    It always makes me wonder about someone who has a fancy write up on tools about which they seem to know nothing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ebay is always good for a laugh!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Not sure about the paring part but it does appear that the bevels are ground down to a pretty fine point.

I Wonder what happened to the rest of the "Pair", or it could be that it is looking for another one to "PAIR" with. I can't believe I did that, must be the Cabin Fever or maybe just a case of the HAPPIES as my back surgery is only a week away. LOL
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Blog Entries
    I can't believe I did that, must be the Cabin Fever or maybe just a case of the HAPPIES as my back surgery is only a week away. LOL
    May your recovery be swift.

Just don't try lifting any anvils for a while.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I already have a back implant from several years ago. Now,I need another,higher up,a thumb joint,and a new knee. In all,I have had 14 surgeries. Many of them still hurt every day.

I received a matched set of 4 of these in the bottom of a box full of other stuff I wanted. So, 4 x 15 = $60 - I will let these go for $59!

Obviously not a paring chisel, but that seller is legit (based on his email list, I haven't bought anything from him yet). He seems to be drawn to older tools so maybe was blinded by the Buck Rogers bling?

Yeah, I didn't mean to be too harsh to seller. He picked what I wouldn't have used as the word to describe the that chisel, but it looks honestly represented, and they've had some neat stuff for sale, with decent photos and all look pretty honestly represented, and while some things are higher than I'd pay, they aren't crazy ebay prices by any means. Just thought it was a bit funny. Hope I didn't come off too mean-spirited.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

No, not at all. Still, what do you call those permaloid chisels? I guess they're butt chisels based on the Stanley's I have, but that MF does look a little longer.

Now check out these "patternmaker's chisels":
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-05-2014 at 4:18 PM.

Could you guys explain the different types of chisels and some of there uses to someone as equally in the dark as that seller. I gather that that is just a common bench chisel and paring chisels would tend to be thinner and have low bevels? what is a firmer chisel? Are there various types of firmer chisels because i see "firmer paring chisel" on ebay. But i've read elsewhere that a firmer should be sharpened at a higher angle like a mortise chisel so i assume it is for chopping. Maybe the people on e-bay are mislabeling a paring chisel firmer because it does not have beveled edges and they assume all square edged chisels are firmer?

As for mortise chisels, are there separate uses for a pigsticker and a socket mortise chisel or is it just a preference for a tool that does the same task? I think the length of the socket ones would help me for plumbness but aesthetically i really like the pigstickers. What are yourses preferences?

thanks

Oops, sorry about the forbidden link! Needless to say, it was not to an auction for patternmakers chisels.

Noah, I won't try to post more links, but if you google Smith's Key to the Manufactories of Sheffield and something like the 1934 Marples catalog on the Rose Antique Tools site, you will get an idea of the variability of chisel terminology over time. I haven't used a vintage pigsticker, but I have found that the Narex bench chisels sold by Lee Valley work fine for mortising.

thanks Max. I wish we could link to ebay to get advice on buying things and i do not think people would abuse it to sell things here but i get why we can not.

Max, I think in this case "patternmaker's chisels" meant "chisels once owned by a patternmaker".