Thread: Spraying latex paint and primer in one?

Spraying latex paint and primer in one?

Hi all, first-time poster and I've got what I think to be a pretty silly question, but here does. I have an Earlex HV5500 that's still in the box and there are several projects that need finishing. Today is the day...I have the white paint the wife wants to use, but it's the paint and primer in one. I'd prefer to use this paint before buying new, and if necessary, paint by hand if that's my only option. Anyone have good experience with spraying paint and primer in one? If so, do I just do the viscosity cup test and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance!

-- Abe

Why not experiment on scrap first? I've sprayed 'latex' diluted with floetrol and distilled water. It's not the best machine for the job - airless is better - but I was able to get a satisfactory finish, better and faster than my brush jobs. If you already have the paint, experiment away without messing up a real project. Large pieces of cardboard like appliance cartons are good. Did you get the two tips, 2.0 mm & 1.5 mm? 2.0 is probably better for 'paint'. Paint will flow out a little before it dries so don't judge your results too soon. AFAIK there's no substitute for experimenting with the actual finish material and different gun settings.

Hey Curt, thanks for the reply. I essentially did just that and was definitely pleased to read on the can that spraying would be fine if properly diluted. I followed the instructions with my sprayer and with the help of the handy viscosity cup I was spraying scraps like crazy. I have some good looking scraps of plywood now that might turn into a battery organizer soon.

As for the project the first coat turned out well. It definitely will need a second and maybe a third. I was spraying outside and the wind was definitely a factor. Thinking about a temporary spray setup in the garage/shop.

Thanks again!!