Thread: Here is what I have so far.

Here is what I have so far.

I finally have my chest-of-drawer project glued up.
    This is my first attempt at something this size and this involved.

I'm a bit more relaxed now that all the time spent on making the parts didn't get hosed during the glue-up. I was sweating bullets for 45 minutes getting all the components together with glue then clamping it up square.

IMG_0307.jpgIMG_0305.jpgIMG_0303.jpgIMG_0308.jpg

Looking forward to the drawer boxes now.

D.

Dennis, looks great! Nice touch on the mortise and tenon breadboard top. Did you purchase the plans or design it yourself?
    Last edited by scott vroom; 01-26-2014 at 1:45 PM. Reason: spell-o
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Dennis, looks great! Nice touch on the mortise and tenon breadboard top. Did you purchase the plans or design it yourself?
    Scott
    I'm using Robert Lang's "Shop Drawings for Green & Greene Furniture" as my only guide. This dresser is basically a mimic of the Tichenor Bedroom Chest but will be of a different size as well as different drawer faces and pulls.
    I've omitted the ebony plugs typically used in G&G furniture and used brass pins instead (which won't stand out when finished).
    Also no splines in the breadboard ends of the top.
    This project is already too time consuming for me even with the simplified (less detail) approach I have taken.

Very nice!!!!

Nice looking design. Well done !

I love that design and it looks great but I am trying to figure out why there is so much variation in the color of the wood. it looks like the breadboard ends are walnut maybe?

Really nice Dennis. Yes, please tell us what woods you are using.

Also, what finish do you plan?

Fred

The main wood is local butternut.
    The breadboard ends are black walnut.
    The color variation you see at the moment is because I pre-finished all the floating panels with Waterlox before glue up. Everything else is raw.
    I plan on using white ash for the drawer sides and backs with exposed dovetails spaced to look like large finger joints.
    I'll use walnut for the drawer pulls for some contrast.

I'm probably going to finish the interior of the drawers with a water based poly of some sore but will continue with the Waterlox tung oil for the main finish.
    It will be a while on the drawers. I have the ash but it needs more time inside my basement shop before I can start milling it up.

I'm happy with the outcome thus far.

Also I discovered after my glue up of the left side of the dresser one panel was not properly finish sanded prior to applying the oil so I ended up rubbing out the finish. This happened because of the disjointed nature of my time spent working on this project. I wrote myself a note as a reminder to sand out the panel before I put the finish on it. Well guess what.
    This leads me into why I forgot to finish sand that panel.
    It is because the original panel I had milled turned out to have a number of locations with tear out from my planer that I could not see until I got to the final sanding grit. I tried to scrape the tear out with a card scraper but it caused a deep gully that was not going to fly. So I decided to make another panel.
    What totally blew my mind here is I have about 200 board feet of butternut purchased from two different locations at completely different times. There is no order at all to how I have stored all my stock.
    I pull another board at random, faced,planed,joint,ripped,rabbeted and refitted it into the frame members. Then I grabbed the existing good panel to do a final test fit and low an behold I somehow grabbed the actual next board cut from the same tree from the same location of the log. If you look at the two panels on the left side of the dresser they are almost book matched. This is not something I intended. I did not know I had any successive boards cut from the same tree. WOW !
    Last edited by Dennis Hawkins; 01-26-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Dennis this is a nice looking project. I like the style.

This is a nice project. I bet, when you get done with it you will want to make a couple of matching nightstands, maybe a low dresser, a mirror, and probably a bed frame or headboard to match. Keep track of your finish schedule carefully so all the pieces match. Don't ask me how I know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    This is a nice project. I bet, when you get done with it you will want to make a couple of matching nightstands, maybe a low dresser, a mirror, and probably a bed frame or headboard to match. Keep track of your finish schedule carefully so all the pieces match. Don't ask me how I know this.
    Pat
    My finish schedule is very easy. About 4 applications of Waterlox tung oil rubbed out to a satin sheen at the end.
    I would love to build matching pieces but I have already built some of those items you mentioned before my interest in the Green & Greene style so it will be mix-and-match for me.

I do plan on another bedside nightstand with this style in mind though.

Looks great Dennis! Thanks for sharing.