Thread: Breathing Metal from CBN Wheels

Breathing Metal from CBN Wheels

I know this is not a scientific study but I was under the idea that we didn't get grindings to breath from the CBN wheels. I put 2 1"rare earth magnets on a string and hung it where my nose is when sharpening and this is what I got, a BIG surprise. The small circles are actually spots that the metal grinding dust did not stick probably oil on the magnet. The main thing is we are breathing metal particles
    when sharpening.Just like stone dust.
    DSCN0974.jpgDSCN0980.jpgDSCN0981.jpgDSCN0979.jpg
    I will be wearing breathing protection.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I always hold my breath.

Harry I think you are making the problem worse by having that sheet metal shield right behind the wheel.

You could open that shield up and hang a sock or dustbag from a saw or sander there and catch most of the metal particles, or even a dust-collector hose. unless you are afraid of sparks going up into the collector.

The dust (metal) is quite heavy and should not float in the air, but isnow flung up and at you by the airflow of the wheel and up to your nose/face.
    Have fun and take care

I've noted the same behind my CBN, but figured the stone was cutting the same type of metal and you get stone dust to boot.

Ceramic dust may be more harmful. Ceramic ic like glass. Sharpe and inbeds well in soft membranes of the lungs.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Now do like Leo suggested, and also mount a strong magnet in the direction of outflow to collect the particles BEFORE they can get to your nose. A mask is probably not a bad idea either.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I use a Trend Airshield Pro and get breathing protection and face protection when turning and sharpening. I also use rare earth magnets in a sandwich bag at the CBN wheel to catch the particles.
    Dick Mahany.

This is one that I considered and thought, well, the metal is heavy and will fall straight down. Maybe not. I do keep my wheel guard in place. I would think that unless you keep a dust hood over the wheel, magnets will get most, but not all of the dust, well, unless you have the magnets around about 75% of the wheel. I don't remember doing a nose blowing test to see how much dust I inhale. For sure, I never see clouds of it when I sharpen. I will have to ponder this one. I don't wear a mask to sharpen or turn. I turn all green wood, so fine particles are not a problem.

robo hippy

I guess I am totally confused here, but wouldn't there be metal dust no matter what wheel you are using? The metal from the tool has to go somewhere when you sharpen it. How would you know if the metal is from the CBN wheel or from the tool itself?

All my dust goes into the Tormek water bath. I can't see why so many people think the Tormek is messy. I think the grinder is way more messy.

Baldor does sell dust control setups for their grinder (rather expensive), or one can build a similar device, you could also use your Dust Deputy to suck the metal particles and other contaminants if present without any fire dangers.

grinder with dust control.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures and the writing to go along with it if you feel up to it.

grinder dust filter.jpg Grinder dust capture.jpg
    Have fun and take care

This is what I was thinking, all the dust will be metal so it's heavy and well fall,Except the grindings are so small they stay suspended and we'er breathing them just like with a stone wheel dust just not as much. When all this started the big thing was no dressing the wheel,Get tools sharper faster,NO breathing dust (oops). That's why I'm saying this we are breathing metal dust witch is as bad as stone dust. I have bad lungs,smoking,jet engine fumes,chemical fumes,and 40 years of wood dust I don't wont anyone thinking that their safe if they use CBN wheels. If I've ruffled anyone's feathers I'm sorry, but not being able to breath is not FUN.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Robinette View Post
    This is what I was thinking, all the dust will be metal so it's heavy and well fall,Except the grindings are so small they stay suspended and we'er breathing them just like with a stone wheel dust just not as much. When all this started the big thing was no dressing the wheel,Get tools sharper faster,NO breathing dust (oops). That's why I'm saying this we are breathing metal dust witch is as bad as stone dust. I have bad lungs,smoking,jet engine fumes,chemical fumes,and 40 years of wood dust I don't wont anyone thinking that their safe if they use CBN wheels. If I've ruffled anyone's feathers I'm sorry, but not being able to breath is not FUN.
    The same problems her Harry, smoking, spray-paint, asbestos, metal dust, wood dust, gas and diesel fumes, etc., makes for lousy sleeping as well
    Have fun and take care

I have use grinding/sanding and friction saws to cut steel and most of the dust travel to the back of the wheel but some will travel back to the front SO IF YOU are tall enough the dust will hit
    you in the chest instead of hitting your FACE