Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got me a new lathe!

I was wondering when that beaut would hit the market... You're a lucky man, Scott. And I'm sure that change jingling around in Jim's pocket is making him smile, too.
    I drink, therefore I am.

That's a sturdy looking outboard rig. Never used or seen one I was wondering if the thread was left hand on the handwheel side or do you turn in reverse.
    I don't think anyone has told you ​"YOU SUCK"
    Fred

Fred the threads on the hand wheel are the same as the headstock side, but because of the rotation of the orientation of the turner, you would put the motor in reverse to turn. There is also a clamping collar that holds the handwheel from unscrewing. You can use the same type of clamp to secure a VicMarc chuck as well (but I don't have a second one of those). I did a quick measure and 4' diameter is easily possible on the outboard side. Wouldn't that be scarey???

Gonna start saving for a vacuum chuck next.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Happy for you Scott, just don't try to go to big to quick. Enjoy!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Congrats Scott! That's a purdy setup! Looking forward to seeing your 1st piece from that baby!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice, Scott!

I think you're gonna need a second tag line in your signature: "No, it's not big enough."

David

I've long admired Jim Adkins' work and it sounds like he is a nice guy to boot. Hopefully you've made a lifelong friend.

Boy, look at that fit and finish...you can't even see where the bolted on extension meets the base bed (thus the reason for your difficulties bolting it on). I here that the tapered roller bearings in those guys last forever. Good for you...what a beautiful lathe!

Be safe,
    Dick

Scott, the feet on the lathe looks like it would be very sturdy even with normal width (not spalyed). how do they adjust for leveling???????? i have not seen that type of feet on a lathe.

Looks like a great Lathe. I have seen several of them on Videos done by the Pros. May it serve you well and give you years of turning pleasure.

Pretty neat Scott however you are just one week late. I was through Wichita on Jan. 16 so I could have stopped by to look over this great new machine. Oh well I will let you know when I am coming south again and perhaps I can take a look then. In the mean time I will keep a look our for 3 foot diameter logs.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    Scott, the feet on the lathe looks like it would be very sturdy even with normal width (not spalyed). how do they adjust for leveling???????? i have not seen that type of feet on a lathe.
    Charlie, the splayed out legs go up into the base unit and are adjusted by jacking up the ends removing the bolts in the legs and raising/lowering them. I am lucky that Jim and I are close enough in height (Jim is a little taller) that I didn't have to adjust the height. Part of the extreme weight of this lathe is the base. it is constructed of plate steel that is a hair under 1/4" thick! Without the outboard and bed extension installed I needed to nudge it a tad to make it perfectly parallel with the wall (OCD kicking in there!), I almost couldn't move it over!
    -------
    -------

Congratulations Scott! That's a great lathe. Enjoy it and keep her spinning BIGGER projects.

Here is the first "victim"! Jim gave me a couple half logs of maple that had a little figure in them. One wasn't sealed because he ran out of Anchorseal so I decided that I better get it roughed before I loose it. It was already starting to check and crack so what started out as a 15" rough out, ended up as a 13 1/2" rough out to get the cracks gone. AND I made one heck of a curly mess on the floor, lathe, wall, vacuum...... It's in the Dna now and will get wrapped up in the next day or so for drying. I sure liked the speed knob and actually found myself using the knee stop bar ... a lot... just to see progress. That is a cool safety feature that doubles as a great way to stop the lathe without reaching over for the control box. And boy was that Missouri maple HARD!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -------
    -------

Nice pile-o-curlies, Scott!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Now that's a pile of shavings! The lathe looks nice as well
    Where did I put that?