Thread: Stanley #45

Stanley #45

I'm thinking about hunting up a Stanley #45. I'd use it for grooves, beading and putting small rounds on edges. I've seen very mixed reviews on the #45. How should it perform for these relatively straightforward tasks?

Blog Entries
    The Stanley #45 has a learning curve that is difficult for some.

For me it works well, but it requires paying close attention with every stroke.

Putting rounds on edges is not one of its stated uses. It may be possible with special rounding attachments made for the #45.

Molding planes are my preference for rounding edges.

If you have mentioned your location in the past, I have forgotten. If you are near me and want to give one a test drive let me know and we should be able to get together so you can give it a spin.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

oops. looks like Jim beat me to it.

for beads and rounds, a beading plane and a hollow plane will outperform the Stanley and are much easier to use IMO. If you only need a single size, they're inexpensive. For grooves, the 45 does a good job, just finicky at times and can be a little sloppy if not careful. But once setup, it'll get the job done. A dedicated plow plane is a better option, but they tend to be pricey, new or used. So for grooves, I feel like the Stanley can be a good option.

I just downloaded the manual for the #45 and realized it could not be used for rounds... I was hoping to get that capability until I can get a decent set of hollows and rounds (or at least the ones I would use) I currently don't have anything I can cut a groove with and my thinking is it might fill that void and the desire to cut some beads. I'll have to think it over. Thanks for the offer Jim, I'm on the east coast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    I just downloaded the manual for the #45 and realized it could not be used for rounds... I was hoping to get that capability until I can get a decent set of hollows and rounds (or at least the ones I would use) I currently don't have anything I can cut a groove with and my thinking is it might fill that void and the desire to cut some beads. I'll have to think it over. Thanks for the offer Jim, I'm on the east coast.
    What can be done is called a "quirked bead." The plane is set with a beading blade so one of the sides is off the work. Then the bead is cut. If this is cut in an edge the effect is a rounded corner with a groove under it. It could be done on the top edge. That leaves places for crumbs and such to fall into.

An old trick I saw somewhere is to do a bead from perpendicular sides to make dowel stock. That takes patience and a steady hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have both a 55 and 45. I leave the 45 set up with a quarter inch plow blade that I use mostly to cut rabbets in the sides of drawers for the bottom to sit in. Works well, however, you must pay attention to each stroke, as others have said, or the plow will deviate from the groove.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.