Thread: mobile dust hood

mobile dust hood

I've been trying to set up a better dust collection system as my developing basement hobby seems to fill the house with dust to my wife's understandable displeasure.
    I'd love to know how others have solved the "mobile arm" problem which supports the dust collection behind the lathe. There has to be a better way than my jerry-rigged system.
    thanks,
    Wells
    Donate blood. The gift of life.

Wells,

There is guy in CA that has a new patented adjustable arm that attaches to the lathe and holds a hood but is still easily adjustable. I have a picture and manual and contact info if you are interested. He does not have a website yet but I have seen it and it looks pretty good. Might be worth a look.

Jeff
    Engineer, Carter Products.

I made this one a number of years ago. It's four sections of 1" square thin wall steel tubing. Depending on how I fold the arms, the hood can handle any position of the sliding headstock. I mainly use the hood for sanding since it's impractical to collect shavings while turning IMHO. The hood in the picture is only marginal at best at collecting dust as shown and I usually cut and fit a cardboard shipping box to it in order to collect dust more effectively. The odd fold arrangement in the photo was just for the pic .
    IMGP6635.DNG.jpg

Hood design is very important for good dust collection and Reed Gray on this forum posted a great one that he built a while back. It would be well worth a quick search to see his.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-29-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

4. This is the way I have done it.........very effective with a dust collector hose attached......

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ion&highlight=
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Wells,
    I have a setup that is very similar to Dick's. It works great and is easy to fabricate.

This is what I came up with; maybe it will give you some idea. I also made an auxiliary banjo because my drill is heavy and sometimes I want to rest it on the lathe banjo.

The head rotates 360* in three planes and I use Velcro and sections of plastic file folder for extensions if needed. The one pic shows it mounted from the bottom of the banjo to collect dust when using a 12” sanding disc on the lathe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I just ordered the rocker universal articulating arm. Hoping to get it setup this weekend. I'll post how it goes. Similar to the setup above. I will probably mount it to the ceiling above the lathe.
    Where did I put that?

My Moble Dust Hood

This is my dust hood, made with an office chair base, $5 at the Thrift Shop. Can roll it anywhere. An improvement would be a height adjustment and maybe the ability to rotate the hood up or down, may do that in the future.
    Last edited by Dale Winburn; 01-30-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Some good ideas and I appreciate the responses.
    Wells
    Donate blood. The gift of life.

Here is one that I came across that is a universal arm and attaches to the lathe. It is made by a guy in CA and works well. His company is Heartwood Concepts a you can contact him at rbley@dschnur.com if you are interested in one.

Jeff
    Engineer, Carter Products.

Here's what I did for my Jet mini lathe. Its just a simple sled that slides on a plywood table that is sandwiched between the lathe and stand. The actual hood has a magnet on it that sticks to a metal plate on the back of the sled.

Dust Hood.jpg