Thread: A little more Turning Time

A little more Turning Time

I found a little more time for turning during the last week, and managed to get 2 pieces finished.

The 1st is a little bowl turned from a cube, mounted on the bias (corners at the head and tail stock).
    It's claro walnut and it's about 5" across and 2 1/2" tall at the corners with a round bottom.
    The inside was finished with Danish oil and wipe on poly. Just for something a little different, I dyed the outside (which is not apparent in the pics). I started with purple, then sanded back and went over it with yellow. It ended with the darker areas being a nice, rich brown and the lighter areas something like a light avocado green.
    The pics just make it look black, a shot in sunlight would show the true colors (maybe I'll try that this weekend).

The 2nd is a plate from what was left of an 8/4 Bubinga board.
    It's 10 1/4" x 1 1/4", finished with Danish oil and wipe on poly, with the rim dyed. For the rim, I 1st dyed it black, then sanded back, then dyed red and then sanded back again. These pics also don't show the true color very well, but it's like a brick red that's a little more on the brownish side. It complements the color of the bubinga and also gives a nice contrast.

Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice Kathy! I really like the cube bowl. But I like all the unusual shapes and hard projects. That Bubinga is just so beautiful of a wood anything done with it I like.

Both have really nice details, love the texture on the 3 corner bowl.

Kathy, as always your work is exquisite. I love both pieces, excellent form and finish!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

like the first one & the texturing on the edges
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

very nice.....

7. Nice work, Kathy! I like the bowl from a cube........I have done several of those, some with pedestals, and it is a neat project which elicits questions on "how'dhedodat! The plate is beautiful as well........gotta love the contrasting rim! Glad you are getting in some turning time.......wish I could find some!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I like both of those. The edge treatment on the "cube" bowl is a nice touch, compliments the non-traditional shape very well. And the dyed rim on the platter makes a frame which draws the eye in and gives it more interest than it might otherwise have.

Kathy, both are really nice. My favorite is the black bowl from a cube, I know when my daughters see this, they'll be begging for one.

Great work!

Mike
    Last edited by mike ash; 01-29-2014 at 10:06 PM.

They are both very well done, I also like the edge treatment on the cube bowl.

Very nice pieces Cathy, I especially like the platter, just beautiful
    Have fun and take care

It has been a pleasure viewing your work and seeing the progress in coloring and texturing. Both display a high level of craftsmanship and aesthetically pleasing work. Thanks for inspiring us all to try different techniques and forms.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

While both are very fine, I'll go with the other Canuck on here and "vote" for the platter. I really like the way you formed the rim.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Two fantastic pieces! The texturing on the rim of the bowl sets it off well and adds just the right amount of interest. The platter is a classic; very nicely done.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.