Thread: Cedar Ice Chest

Cedar Ice Chest

So been kicking around the idea on making a cedar "Cowboy Ice chest" using either a pre-made igloo type cooler or rigid insulation board lined with FRP/Vinyl. Any suggestions on which way to go? I've seen some examples on here with a pre-made cooler and some with stainless, there were some on Craiglists where they used foam board/FRP and they seem to be pretty well constructed.

Of course the igloo type would probably keep the ice around the longest, but in reality is it really necessary since they will be primarily used for entertaining guest for a cookout or pool party just for a afternoon/evening. I'm also keeping in mind the Texas heat during the summer! Just looking for an economical/profitable approach just in case people I know are interested in purchasing one, I could always use the extra "tool money".

I've got a book of projects for boats and I recall there's an ice chest thing in there that uses pieces of rigid insulation foam and fiberglass. I don't know why you couldn't build that into a wooden box. If you want, I'll look up the title of the book and author for you when I get home from work. I think the author is Fred Bingham but I'd look to make sure.

I made one of these as a gift several years ago. That one was based around an Igloo cooler. Premade coolers are better insulators and will last a lot longer. But, if I were to make these to sell I would probably go with a foam board insert instead. Good coolers are very expensive and would likely drive the necessary selling price above the level of people's interest. The other benefit is that coolers are not square, thereby making them more difficult to build around.

you should check out this sticky which has a cowboy coller init

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...stmas-projects

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning a little more towards the pre-made coolers because of the durability but I have some extra foam board from a wall map project that I did this last weekend and may just play around with it and see it how it works. Thanks again!
    plus the pre-made ones would be alot less work! Just build a box around it
    Last edited by Greg Berry313; 02-05-2014 at 5:07 PM.

I would use the Igloo chest to start. Melt water sealing and cleaning (another advantage of rounded interior) become instant non-issues. The chest design is obviously easy. I would focus labor into customizing the lid by building part of the igloo lid (the sealing part) into an insulated wood lid that gives a solid feel and a nice look. Boat building magazines and sites are full of project designs as most refrig boxes are custom built into odd-shaped spaces. I have worked a few such projects would always avoid building a custom interior when possible. Also don't forget to design in a drain cock.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Grady View Post
    I would use the Igloo chest to start. Melt water sealing and cleaning (another advantage of rounded interior) become instant non-issues. The chest design is obviously easy. I would focus labor into customizing the lid by building part of the igloo lid (the sealing part) into an insulated wood lid that gives a solid feel and a nice look. Boat building magazines and sites are full of project designs as most refrig boxes are custom built into odd-shaped spaces. I have worked a few such projects would always avoid building a custom interior when possible. Also don't forget to design in a drain cock.
    Thanks Patrick, I'm starting to agree more and more. I hate using caulking, no matter what I do it looks like a kindergarten art project and that's probably the only way to get a proper seal on the foam board/vinyl option.

You can buy premade styrofoam boxes with lids. This is really what I was thinking. I have received frozen meat shipped in them. I have a feeling most of the ones you see for sale are using these.

I have a foam box that fits tightly in a cardboard box (square outside corners) that I got for free from a pet store. They are used one way for shipping tropical fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Scott View Post
    You can buy premade styrofoam boxes with lids. This is really what I was thinking. I have received frozen meat shipped in them. I have a feeling most of the ones you see for sale are using these.
    I've seen several ways but the one I really liked stated that he used rigid foam and FRP, plus I saw the sheets of foam in the background. I think that the regular Styrofoam coolers would not be that great of a choice. I've even seen some with rigid foam and galvanized sheet metal but then again you have to have a good seal or get a fab shop to produce them as one piece. I guess the main reason i really like them is the lid is a lower profile than that of a premade cooler lid.

Here is the picture of the one I saw, going for $180 with some customization. This guy is 60 miles from me so I wouldn't be invading his turf so to speak.