Thread: One completed & one Project in Progress

One completed & one Project in Progress

I have mentioned before that I was making three projects for my WW Buddy, and I finally have a few shots of a couple of them. The Cutoff Sled, (my design), is finished and has seen a lot of use. The Outfeed table is nearly finished, (but no pics yet), and the Router table is about 75% completed and here are some In Progress shots. It is based on Norm's original plans, but I think I changed every dimension, among other things. I hope the Pics load this time. If it works, I'll add the other two pics and point out the "Features" with an edit.

The aluminum strips on the ends under the bottom of the cutoff sled, ride under a small angle I attached to the saw wings, so the sled won't try to tip when you first start the cut, and they also contact a stop when the blade has made the full cut, so you can't push it so far that the blade cuts out the back side of the safety cap on the sled

NOTE: two more RT pics and a description of the RT features/constr are in one of my replies further down below in this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 06-21-2005 at 4:50 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Looks good. I especally lilke the extra wood to give you a little more protection from the blade at the end of the cut.

The last Two Pics

The Overall dimensions of both the table and Top are wider and the top is deeper than Norm's plans, and The bit drawers are wider than his plans also. The top is two pieces of 3/4" MDF laminated together with Red oak edging and plastic laminate on both the top and bottom. The top is hinged, and I routed slots in the bottom of the top so the hinge pins could be removed to remove the top if desired, and since I didn't completely trust regular screws in MDF as heavy as the top is, the center screw in each of the hinge halves attached to the top are countersunk 3/16" machine screws going through into "T" nuts that were put in place before the top laminate was put on. The top drawer on the left side will be a tool drawer, and the top drawer on the right side will be only about a half drawer, since back half of that space will be used to house the electric outlets and on/off switch. The center door, (with the paper still on it), is 1/4" Lexan, and the bottom drawer is mounted with 100# Full Extension drawer slides. The Case is made from 3/4" Cabinet grade Plywood but because of some spalting we liked, we put the 2nd grade face out. The face frame is red oak, and you may notice the use of some Miller dowels (for alignment while glueing and Looks), and the face frame was put together with only pocket screws, (no glue), and then attached to the case with glue only, plus the miller dowels.

The small drawer Fronts are now made, but I still have to make those 6 drawers, trim the inside of the router hole in the top, add the mobility hardware, cut the air holes in the Lexan, cut the hole for the DC AND install a compound curved Air Flo guide panel for it, make and install the drawer pulls and install a Prop to hold the table top is open and install a Rare Earth magnet on the center door. He hasn't decided if he wants any aluminum T track in the top yet, but that can be added at any time.

Thennnnnnnnnnnn..............My Buddy Gets to Put the Finish On it.

I forgot.....The Bottom Drawer box is 1/2" Baltic Birch and the drawer bottom is some Old 1/4" plywood I had on hand, (the good stuff), and is set in a dado on all four sides and glued in place all around. The drawer face was glued up from 3 narrow oak boards, but the grain match came out fairly good. Over all I was fairly pleased with the grain match, considering the wood I had to work with, including a few pieces of "scrap lumber" from some crates. I even had to make the rails of the door longer and the stiles shorter due to the length of the scrap I had at the time.

Your comments, (good or bad) will be appreciated.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 06-15-2005 at 5:07 AM.

WOW.... that is sheer poetry. I wish mine was that nice. Oh well..... maybe someday

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    WOW.... that is sheer poetry. I wish mine was that nice. Oh well..... maybe someday
    Oh Well, Bob, this one is for my Buddy. If he ever moves His tools out of my shop, I'll have to make another one for myself, because this one is much nicer than mine, (a plain Jane Router Workshop model). I sure need to get this finished so I can make two Router Fences (of my design), although since I first sketched it, I have seen some of my ideas show up on a couple of commercial models. (Guess some of my ideas weren't too bad after all).

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold
    Looks good. I especally lilke the extra wood to give you a little more protection from the blade at the end of the cut.
    Thanks Cecil, that "Extra Wood" is for us "Older and sometimes forgetful" people. Those pieces are fastened with glue, and screws from the back side at each layer. The mitre slot rails are from scrap walnut, waxed, (that wasn't even the same width the full length on one of them), but it didn't matter, since I made them a little loose in the slots, but fastened them snugly against the inside edge of the slots (next to the blade). This lets them slide freely, allow for wood expansion, yet keep it aligned snugly.

Norman, they alll look like great projects!

Your buddy is very lucky!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    Norman, they alll look like great projects!

Your buddy is very lucky!
    Thanks for the kind comments, Jeff. Due to some health issues, the RT project has drug out forever it seems, but it's getting better and if it doesn't get Too Hot, I'm sure hoping to get my Speed back up on the next projects, as I'm sure getting Waaaaaaaaay behind on my "To Do" list, or maybe now that should be "To Do LISTS".

Excellent job on both projects, Norman. Like Cecil, I also like the "safety bubble" on the backside of your sled.

- Vaughn