Thread: Hutch design

Hutch design

I have been commissioned by the boss (AKA my bride), to build a hutch and this is the picture she gave me as the specification (its all I have to work with).
    Barn-wood-kitchen-cabinet-original.jpg
    I will be making it from pine and the finish will be kind of a honey color finish (its a Minwax Fruitwood stain with poly wipe on varnish) unless she really wants it painted (hopefully not all distressed though - we haven't discussed that yet).

So I've been working on a design in sketchup for this project as seen here:
    HutchPic.JPG
    I'm pretty happy with most of it so far but what I'm trying to figure out is the base (legs / feet / bottom edge) if you will. What do you folks think would look most appropriate, the tapered leg shown on the left side, or a simple squared off version as shown in the front, or something else? Anyway, please let me know what you think. Thanks

Pat, this calls for something pretty simple. I can't see the side of the case well but I would be inclined to do basically the same thing as you've done on the sides. I'd make those stiles wider--the cabinet could handle them. It would also give you an opportunity to do something like this.

I can't quite tell what you've got going below the doors but I think there should be a rail about 2-3 inches wide.

You are right about the lower rail. That makes sense. All I had was a narrow rail, but thicker would be better. I don't need the opening underneath really anyway, just a dust catcher. The stiles I have are 2 1/4 " which I estimated from the picture. Overall base height is about 32", total height is about 78", width of base is around 42"

I got the pic from your link. I was thinking about the radius idea too but I wondered if it would look out of place since everything else is very rectilinear.
    FootIdea.JPG
    So I went with this:
    Foot2.JPG
    Which is similar, just a straight angle, but no curve.

I'll mull it over some more - thanks for the input Dave
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 01-29-2014 at 10:19 PM.

I couldn't tell in your first image if they were straight or radiused. Either way, you could do the same thing. Your angled cut would be easy to do to the front stile anyway.

So I think the angled look for the feet looks pretty good. Here is what it looks like.
    Foot3.JPG
    The width of the foot at the floor is 2 1/4" as is the height from the floor up to the cabinet side and front.

Any thoughts?

Here is the finished design (of course it won't be this color).
    HutchPicColor.JPG

Started cutting materials today. Will post pics and I progress.