Thread: Tall spalted birch vase

Tall spalted birch vase

P1000668.jpgP1000669.jpg

This vase is from spalted birch. The log, off the stump in March, 2013, was turned spitting wet, starting in November, 2013. It is turned dead center on the pith, and stands 23.5" tall, 5.5" major diameter, turned through both the top and bottom. The walls were turned about 1/4" wet, but now average about 3/16". To prevent cracking, it was dried from the inside out by wrapping the outside with plastic and drying the inside with oil-dry, changed every 2 days for about a month. At that point, I finished the outside only to seal off moisture loss from the outer surface. The finish is satin lacquer - 9 coats. So far, there is no finish down deep inside where you can't see - only on the trumpet part. It is losing very little weight nowadays, less than an ounce every three weeks, so it's nearly dried to equilibrium. When the weight fully stabilizes, I will seal the inside of the globe section and add a couple more coats of finish on the outside.

Very nice! Sounds like you have it down to a science...is this a method you use often? Was it trial and error with the drying process? I've been turning for many years but only now starting with green/wet wood. I find it very interesting listening to all the different techniques. Nicely done.

Really nice I love Birch,but I always have tear out and shredding. Looks like you have done a super job of it.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Nice vase and unique shape as well. I find that leaving the inside of green vases open and the outside endsealed my standard method. I experience very little cracking or movement. Dries fairly fast as well. Nice spalting too.

RE: Jared's question - 'trial and error?' - Yes, tried kitty litter first. Bad idea. Kitty litter has ingredients that make it clump. This is not what you want in a narrow necked vase. I had to take a dowel and break up the clumps to get it out. Simple oil-dry, the cheap stuff, aka 'fuller's earth', no magic ingredients, works best - doesn't clump. It's around $8 for a 40 lb bag at the auto parts store. I recycle it by spreading it out on a black plastic trash bag laid on a hot sidewalk on a sunny day. If there is no sun, you can also bake it on a cookie sheet in the oven. I have not tried to microwave it, and am not eager to find out if that works or not.

Unlike bowls or platters, the unique problem with tall vases is there is very little air circulation down inside. The absorption properties enable oil dry to wick some of the moisture by its direct contact with the inner walls, and also to take moisture out of the very humid air down near the bottom. Think about those little dessicant bags that come packed with electronics like cell phones or cameras. Same idea.