Thread: ClearVue Filter box

ClearVue Filter box

Anyone build a filter box for their ClearVue instead of the stacked filter installation like the instructions suggest? My uncle has a ClearVue without the bin sensor and several times he has filled the bin causing large amounts of debris (chips and dust) to pack in the filters. He has stated that it takes considerable time to clean it all out. I am getting ready to install my ClearVue, I do happen to have the bin sensors, so hopefully this won't be an issue. In the event that the bin sensor doesn't function according to plan, I would like to have the discharge go directly into a clean out box and not the filters.

Just wondering if anyone has a setup similar and can tell me how it is working for them? Pic would be awesome along with dimensions if you are willing to share.

I can't see how this will hurt performance, though I am not an engineer and I could be totally wrong.

Thanks,
    Drew

Drew,

There are example of ClearVue cyclone owners fabricating a filter box in lieu of stacking them -- I suggest you browse the photo gallery on the ClearVue Cyclones website.

Actually I have been all over their photo gallery and was hoping to see some other configurations if possible, especially like I had described where there discharge/exhaust goes into the box first and not the filters. Also was looking for feedback from people that have it setup this way to see how they like it and if it is working well for them.

Thanks,
    Drew

Just a dumb question: If you don't notice when the bin is full, how will you ever notice when the box is full? IMHO, this is pretty much a non-issue and I'd hate to see someone spend all sorts of time and effort on something like this. All of the finer particles, the things that will actually clog the filter instead of just caking on there, will still go straight to the filter anyway.

This wasn't so much to prevent stuff from getting into the filters, and maybe I stated that incorrectly in my original post. But more of a way to allow me to clean them a little easier/quicker in the event that I did something stupid (like not emptying the barrel on time, or in the event the bin sensor failed and I wasn't aware). For myself the discharge will be close to 11' off the floor, by placing them on a filter box, I can bring it down to a more manageable height and possible make my life a little easier. I was more curious if anyone, who possibly had a similar config noticed anything detrimental by not placing them in the recommended config according to the install guide. On a side not, I plan on using 8" insulated Duct for the 10' or so from the discharge to the filter box.

Thanks,
    Drew

Steve Knight built a plenum with cloth filters attached. The bottoms of the filters were open and attached to 5-gallon (I think, maybe smaller) buckets. So anytime he wanted to clean his filters, he could knock them a bit and the cake would fall into the buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Pavlak View Post
    Actually I have been all over their photo gallery and was hoping to see some other configurations if possible, especially like I had described where there discharge/exhaust goes into the box first and not the filters. Also was looking for feedback from people that have it setup this way to see how they like it and if it is working well for them.

Thanks,
    Drew
    Drew,

If you visit the Clearvue site's gallery, section for CV1800 and check out SGI Dave's install, he has a filter box with outside-to-in air flow and a clear window in front to see carry-over. Perhaps this is what you seek?

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Steve Knight built a plenum with cloth filters attached. The bottoms of the filters were open and attached to 5-gallon (I think, maybe smaller) buckets. So anytime he wanted to clean his filters, he could knock them a bit and the cake would fall into the buckets.
    Thats the exact setup we had on the cyclone in the shop we had in Bryan, Texas. It was a 7.5 hp torit cyclone into a shop made muffler that was very effective that exhausted into the filter bag that had 8 vertical drops that had a 5 gal bucket attached with a band clamp to each one.Photo-0197.jpeg

When I ordered a new filter from Wynn Environmental, I was told to hang a bag on the bottom of the filter. The purpose is so you can blow the filter out and the dust fall into the bag, but would not the bag also be the first thing to fill when your overfill your bin? If you have your filter hanging where you can see it, you can see the bag filling up.

You may want to look at this design. It allows you to clean you filters and vent them outside
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post2155983
    Bob C

Thanks Jim and others,

I saw the SGI Dave's install and that is exactly what I am thinking of doing, though I am curious as to why he designed it to go from out to in on the filters. Maybe for easier cleaning. I can't imagine that it would make a difference as to which way the air flows through the filters. I have sent an email to Wynn for clarification. When I hear back from them I will post it.

Thanks,
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Pavlak View Post
    Thanks Jim and others,

I saw the SGI Dave's install and that is exactly what I am thinking of doing, though I am curious as to why he designed it to go from out to in on the filters. Maybe for easier cleaning. I can't imagine that it would make a difference as to which way the air flows through the filters. I have sent an email to Wynn for clarification. When I hear back from them I will post it.

Thanks,
    Drew
    I think some older filters are actually intended to run outside-in. And if you overfill your bin, the outside-in is absolutely going to be easier to clean (though not sure it would be easier for cleaning the fine dust on a day to day basis).

But one other advantage is a clear window on outside-in allows you to see your filters loading.

Said would post the results and here they are, the NANO filters are directional, Inside to Outside. Good info to know.

Drew,

Our Nano filters are directional. The Nano laminate is on the dirty side of the filter. All of the Clear Vue filters flow from the inside-out. They are very easy to clean this way. Leave everything in place and hit the outside of the filter with compressed air.

Rick