Thread: What concrete leveling product would you recommend?

What concrete leveling product would you recommend?

I've got concrete floors in my shops.

The one pictured is pretty good but has a few rough areas and could use "leveling". Because the ceiling on the left side is only about 8' high I don't want to build up the floor much. This is designed to be my woodshop and I figure I better get the floor fixed first before I finalize my equipment placement.
    I've also got a patio that needs leveling.

I looked at the products at HD and Lowes, then I ran across a discussion of floor levelers and read about Ardex.
    Anything made by a company called Ardex. They make some of the best floor leverers in the business. Feather finish will do some small patching but for floor leveling I would use the Ardex K-301.

http://www.ardex.com/productDetail.a...4&ProductID=74
    So my question to creekers is - What concrete leveling product would you use?

I know I'm going to have to "extreme clean" and probably put down a primer.

thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

I'd check with a concrete company, personally I have used a product called thorobond, which was painted on the existing concrete surface, and then you could put a thin layer of concrete over the old. Keeps the thin layer from drying too fast and cracking. I used the same concrete for the cap as for regular slabs. Think it was 1 1/2" or 2" thick. Been years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by george newbury View Post
    ... a few rough areas
    Depending on the depth of the rough areas, just be aware that most self levelers require a minimum thickness of 1/8" or a maximum thickness of 1/2". That's a ballpark number but each manufacturer will specify in their technical literature. So, if any of these areas are outside of these parameters, look into other products.

Assuming this falls into the category of self levelers, the Ardex product is a premium product and not worth the money in this application, in my opinion. Personally, I'd look at the Mapei products, such as the Novoplan 2. Lowes may carry it but any industrial supplier will carry it. Also, there's a misconception, rightly so, that self levelers are truly self leveling--they're not. You do have to work the mix with a gauge rake as well as it's not just a pour and walk away application. Finally, follow the instructions on the bag of the product verbatim and there will likely be some floor preparation as well for a good bond with the existing slab.