Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are there any "good" new drill presses?

I can throw in a good vote for the largest grizzly dp. I have their 20 inch and it works extremely will, just this week it effortlessly drilled several 7/8 holes in 1/4 in steel plate. The only thing I wish I had was a coolant system for drilling steel.

Brad [Are there any "good" new drill presses?]
    NO not for under $ 1000. I went used, Best Drill Press Yet, Powermatic 1200, $400 Craigslist, new bearing and belts and paint $150 total $550. Spindle is
    supported buy three ball bearings at all times. Quill is supported buy 4 case iron webs along all of is 7" travel. Motor rpm of 1140, reeve drive, spindle speed from 105-900 rpm. Tom

Note picture is from Google Images not my DP

I have the Steel City from a few years ago. It does not see heavy use, but does all I need. No complaints.
    Lori K

Eh? for woodworking?

Most are fine. Mine is a JET knock-off. It's not a metal working machine but for furniture and jig making it is better than adequate.

If you need a metal working drill, a Taiwan mill-drill is a good press. If you need a long quill stroke, get out your check book.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    I'm in the market for a drill press, and have been doing a fair bit of research on the subject. Seems like there isn't even a partial consensus on a make/model someone should buy if they want to buy new. I've been looking at the Delta 18-900L and Grizzly models, but there seems to be quality concerns for every model I have been researching (including the Delta). Am I missing some thing here, or is this the lay of the land for new drill presses? Thanks.
    I am beginning to believe that the best way to go for all wood working stationary power tools is buy older and refurbish. The down fall, however, will be parts. The possible solution is "buy multiple old". One to refurbish the others for parts.

The Nova Voyager DVR Drill Press is a very solid smooth running machine. I have had mine for several months. The run out is almost zero and runs quiet. Being able to easily change speed with the twist of a knob is really nice.

+1 on the Nova. Been eyeballing it for awhile. Seems a bit overpriced but the only VFD in that price range. Im hoping this a trend in the industry and we can quit moving belts around.

IMHO....The Nova is a very good drill press. I had the Jet 17" but was not happy because it had a lot of drill slop. I talked wit Jet and there is no real way to reduce the slop. I asked them why they did not have a split housing around the quill so you could adjust it and was told cost.

The Nova has very good low end torque and runs so smoothly. I was concerned about new technology issues but they have been using the same thing on lathes for quite awhile. The program is also upgradable. I tried to do the upgrade and had problems but Teknatool has great customer service and helped me out.

The table is also very good and easily adjusts up and down. The biggest problem was putting the head on the column. It is heavy, awkward and smooth with no way to easily hold on to it. A lifting lug would have been nice.

Yes, it was not cheap but I am very happy with the purchase.

FYI, This thread was first started in Feb, 2014, so it's a bit old....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Thats OK in another 3 years we can talk about the new drill press with a flux capacitor

Blog Entries
    Yes, and its taken this long for a somewhat decent drill press to come out that is under $3000 ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Love my 18-900

Just a heads up, but Larry didn’t bump this old thread. There was a single poster internet spammer guy who was plugging a companies DP who dug it up.

Arn for me...Buffalo 18 and another ancient drill press work well for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wagner View Post
    I am beginning to believe that the best way to go for all wood working stationary power tools is buy older and refurbish. The down fall, however, will be parts. The possible solution is "buy multiple old". One to refurbish the others for parts.
    exactly. I love old tools!