Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of sprayer?

What kind of sprayer?

I've got a couple of projects coming up that I'll be painting. I moved our pantry out of the kitchen so I have 4 pantry doors to paint also. And, then I have 3-4 exterior doors that I should paint/repaint too. I HATE painting so my wife always does any interior painting but I'll probably have to do all these projects. So, I was thinking about buying a sprayer to do all this instead of brushing. But, I have no idea what kind to get. Chances are I'd do the listed projects and that would be about it, but occasionally I come up with something that I need to paint. I don't want to get a high dollar, top of the line sprayer, but I want one that I won't get frustrated with and be unsatisfied with the whole experience because of it. Any recommendations? Thanks. Greg

Spraying finishes is the black art of woodworking. Any system you get is going to have a certain learning curve. I've been spraying with Titan and Capspray hvlp set-ups for several years now and still find new things that can go wrong. IME, the lower initial cost, the more difficult it will be to get consistent, predictable results. It gets even worse if you're spraying water based products, which tend to clog things up a bit more often. I'm a fan of turbine systems. They're portable, don't require a giant compressor and can spray for hours without cfm issues. That being said, I've seen professional finishes layed down with all sorts of equipment. The most important thing is to learn how your equipment works and how to set -up for your particular finishes and conditions. I can't emphasize enough how big a role diagnosis plays in getting a good finish.

+1 for what Johnny said.

It is possible to go to your local tractor supply/napa/borg or whatever and pick up practically any mid price range gun and make a decent effort of sraying though. It takes the ability to diagnose to pull it off.

Because I didn't want to spend a bunch on a hvlp system for a trim finishing project last year, I did just that, and had fine results with a napa gun. Its a brand you hear of, can't remember it off the top of my head though.

I have used an Earlex HVLP which is a lower end unit but with the right tip can spray finishes and water based paints. Even cheaper and what I started with was the Critter from Lee Valley and a compressor.

For small quick jobs I still use the Critter and larger jobs the Earlex. Both are easy to use and clean after.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know spit about spray guns/painting. What do I need for a small volume of painting? I don't have plans right now for stains/finishes, just paint. Will a Wagner paint gun work for my situation or should I get something like a xxxxxx? I thought an HVLP was intended more towards stains/finishes?? Or is this actually what I need?

I always wanted to give this a try,if you can believe the net lot of good things said about this model.Stay away from the battery operated one,loses power.Just another ideal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bBXbcuYiN0 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-Tru...2?N=5yc1vZartt
    Carroll
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 02-02-2014 at 5:54 PM.

I'm in the same boat Greg. I've got a mudroom built in project coming up and would like to spray them.

I was was thinking more along the lines of this Wagner Flexio 570, but I'd be interested to hear what others say.
    http://t.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-F...3?N=5yc1vZartt

Blog Entries
    I have used traditional air, HVLP conversion guns and airless rentals spraying automotive epoxy primer, base coat, clear coats (HVLP), alkyd enamels on cabinet doors (airless) and water borne lacquers (HVLP). I still don't have the ideal setup as I haven't spent the money to get a full HVLP setup. But I would like the ability to spray full body latex and oil paints. At this point, I am seriously looking at trying the airless Graco mini system Carroll links in post #6. I help my son rehab homes, and it might do double duty shooting latex primer and topcoats on walls.

I was was thinking more along the lines of this Wagner Flexio 570, but I'd be interested to hear what others say.
    Wagner is the Black and Decker of the spray world.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I am a newbie in the spraying department but I got an Earlex 6900 Spray Station and although I haven't used it that much yet, I really like it. I have done both latex paint and water based poly finishes and it did a great job on both. I don't have the facilities to do oil based spraying, so I plan on using water based products. I may try some oil based outdoors this summer but I am happy with the way the water based has been doing.

HVLP has less overspray then conventional and airless spraying but it still makes a mess, so plan on some dry overspray settling on everything in the spraying area. I made sort of a temporary removable spray booth in my garage, with some drop cloths hanging from the garage opener tracks but fine dry overspray still gets outside the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Wagner is the Black and Decker of the spray world.
    That may be, but I'm going to be spraying latex paint and don't want to spend $400+ on an earlex or graco. B&D stuff has it's uses too and not everything needs to be top of the line.

Greg, what's your budget? It's hard to recommend something without knowing how much you want to spend.
    Last edited by scott vroom; 02-03-2014 at 2:06 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

B&D stuff has it's uses too and not everything needs to be top of the line.
    True - as the amount of HF and B&D stuff in my garage will attest to.
    Just saying though, the Wagner line of sprayers is very low end very low duty.
    Once or twice is ok, but, beyond that you're lucky if they work.

I sold Wagner for 25 plus years & dealt with the complaints. I also owned a couple of Wagner units.
    The last one (Wagner Paint Crew) I had let me down when I needed it.
    It managed to work for three jobs, but, the fourth was too much for it.
    I had to replace it with a Graco and eat the cost of a new sprayer.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

14. I used to paint cars when I had my body shop. I would never paint walls with a spray gun. For something like high end furniture in a spray booth spray gun in an experienced hand can do a good job.
    For me there is nothing pains better than Devillbis regular gun not HVLP.
    BTW. It might take a few years to learn to paint good.

I really don't have any budget set for this. Not having done any spraying before, I have no idea what to do, what to buy, or what it will cost LOL! I was hoping that a couple people would happen to recommend the same sprayer by chance as a good unit to start with. As I said I probably won't be doing any staining/finishes with one but would be mostly paint. I've got 4 steel exterior doors that could/should be repainted and I'd really rather not brush these. My daughter wants a couple of pieces built and since she's not the QSWO type, I'll probably just use poplar or maple and do a contempory paint job. So far I haven't priced any of this out, but I figured I could buy a system cheaper and it would give me the flexibility to choose what I do for a finish and when I want to do it.