Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Workbench 2.0

Workbench 2.0

My current workbench has served me well for 3 years. I've found slanted leg vise and deep aprons of English/Nicholson design to be well suited for my 95-99% handtool approach to woodworking, and the recycled old growth pine from which it's largely built has been rock solid. The knockdown design enabled me to keep it with me though 3 different moves in two different states, and the relatively short 5 1/2 foot length allowed me to fit in a very limited workshop space. It has been the perfect bench for me in this time.

IMG_0240.JPG

But there comes a time in every woodworkers life when s/he must admit to his/herself that their beloved workhorse of a bench is too small (even if its really big) and that it is time to move on to something bigger.

My wife and I purchased our first home this past summer, and thus, for the first time since I started woodworking I had a long term space to call my workshop and more space than I'd ever had before. A perfect excuse to build a new 8 ft+ bench.

Enter fellow Creeker and local craftsman Paul Incognito. You may remember him from his recent classified ad for a "Workbench kit in DE"

I became friends with Paul about a year and a half ago when I first returned to Philadelphia. Paul is one heck of a nice guy, who just so happened to have an excess of large slabs of old reclaimed douglas fir. He has already built two benches for himself from this wonderful material, and made most of a 3rd bench that he sold as a "kit" here on SMC. He graciously offered the remainder of the fir to me for my new workbench as well as his skill, and the use of his large milling machines.

At long last yesterday we began the build. What a fun and productive day we had. Paul's jointer and planer are exquisite pieces of vintage machinery, and Paul himself is an absolute machine when using them. I must confess he did the most the work, but I did get the chance to run stuff through these giants and it was quite the experience. In a mere 6 hours (which included a fair bit of goofing off) every major piece for the bench was milled and the majority of the needed lamination's were complete.

Here are some snapshots of the day:

Me jointing pieces for the top. Man, that cutter head is one big spinning piece of steel.

IMG_20140201_130812_922 (1).jpg IMG_20140201_130830_461.jpg

Now to the thickness planer. I like this better...I'm much farther away from those cutters
    IMG_20140201_132934_390 (1).jpg

Paul ripping the pieces to width. The width he's cutting here will turn into the thickness of the top..between 4.5 and 5 inches
    IMG_20140201_142558_110.jpg

The results of a fun day's work! The parts for my bench stacked up on one of Paul's benches.

IMG_20140201_172648_992.jpg

...and with all the machinery shut down, we each enjoyed a Hop Devil before calling it a day.

IMG_20140201_172743_095.jpg

too be continued in a week or two....
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-02-2014 at 1:36 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

So, that's not actually you in your avatar?

Chris, I'm jealous of your bench build. Beautiful material, time well spent with a fellow woodworker.
    It's better to be a spectacular failure than an apologetic one...

Two bottles of beer on the bench, two bottles of beer
    If one those bottles should happen to quench
    One bottle of beer on the bench...

Looks like the start of beautiful bench!

That's going to make one serious bench!

Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited about it.

Hopefully when its done it will look something like this. Except it will have square dog wholes...and the layout of the modular storage unit underneath will probably change, and the front vise is going to be my 7" QR vise I already own so a little smaller than that drawing of a 10" I found in the Sketchup library.

But otherwise...pretty much like that...you get the drift.

New Bench.jpg
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Something tells me that sliding deadman may get on a last nerve very quickly if there are drawers behind it.

Just a thought.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    Something tells me that sliding deadman may get on a last nerve very quickly if there are drawers behind it.

Just a thought.
    Yeah, that's definitely crossed my mind. But not having some type of board jack will get on my nerves worse. I'll actually probably make a mix of drawers and cupboards and it will be sectioned into 3 units not 2 so I'll always be able to access 2 out of 3 sections. I figure if underbench storage gets on my nerves I'll take it out and just put it in the corner of the shop (it will be a seperate unit)...and the deadman is easy enough to take off if I want to also.

You look so different without a cat perched on each shoulder!
    Seriously, looks great. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks you should ditch the drawers for a simple shelf. But, it's your bench! Have fun!

This reminds me I have one last Fat Tire in the fridge. Think I'll crack it open for the kick-off today. Nice work by the way. Are you now a converted power tool guy? LOL

Thanks Steve. I'll at a minimum have multiple shelves....probably with doors (possible sliding doors) to keep dust and shavings off them. I want my stuff right there, I need to maximize space, and I want to keep crap of my tools. Indeed, there are plenty of people who advise against under bench storage cupboards and drawers. I've read all the reasons not too, but I'm till going to do it. It definitely appeals to me and I figure if Ron Brese, Glenn Huey, the Shakers liked it, it must have something going for it.

I won't have a full set of drawers like in the sketch. That was just an initial sketch I came up with a while ago. But as a general design, I know what I want.

Again though, the storage will come later. I'll add them after the bench is setup in my basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    This reminds me I have one last Fat Tire in the fridge. Think I'll crack it open for the kick-off today. Nice work by the way. Are you now a converted power tool guy? LOL
    Haha, Nah. But I wouldn't mind having a jointer, a planer and some dust collection. I have no interest in tables saws of router cut joinery for most of what I do. But quality machines to do the heavy lifting sure are nice.

This bench (which belongs to our buddy Chris Fournier) BTW, was one of the main inspiration. Its his take on the Fortune/Nelson bench in the Landis workbench book.

Mine will have more of a roube-esc undercarriage, as well as the deadman, but its the same general concept.

December_2007_Shaker_Workbench.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I've read all the reasons not too, but I'm till going to do it. It definitely appeals to me and I figure if Ron Brese, Glenn Huey, the Shakers liked it, it must have something going for it.
    Well, I can't argue with that. And I like the idea of adding the storage later.

Blog Entries
    I think this is going to be spectacular. Not into the under storage personally, but I think they will look quite nice. I don't use it because I have no need for it, but I see no reason to avoid it.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    Something tells me that sliding deadman may get on a last nerve very quickly if there are drawers behind it.Just a thought.
    I have the same set up, and it's rare that I'll get stuck for something behind a clamped board.
    It has happened, just not so often.

More a worry is having what amounts to a toe kick right where you'll stand.
    I recommend raising that rail off the floor, with room for clearance so you can belly up to the bench.

Skinny guys may not need much clearance, but it comes in handy.

The only downside is that shavings find their way under.

Drawers also would serve as supports, making the deadman surplus to requirements.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 02-02-2014 at 5:37 PM.