Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Workbench 2.0

I've owned a few benches over the years and am nearing the end of a new bench build which I hope will incorparate all of the things I want and leave out the things I didn't like about some of the previous benches. Here is what works for me,

- I've had benches with and without under bench storage and I've found storage to be much nicer.
    - If you do a fair amount of handwork not having a sliding deadman gets frustrating fast. They slide off easily to be stored when not needed.
    - Having the leading edge of the bench inline with the base REALLY gets old.
    - A wagon wheel end-vise is more compact and pleasant to use.
    - A leg vise holds better and is more user friendly that a metal end-vise mounted on the bench face.

Here are some pics of the progress
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice start, Chris. It took me like 6 months to get as far as you did in 6 hours. Sure would have been handy to have some machinery to speed things up!

Mike

Hi Keith. Well this is only my second bench, but the first bench lead me to most the conclusions you've reached.

- I definitely found myself wishing for underneath storage.

- For handwork, which yes I mainly do, boards need support underneath when being jointed. My current bench does it with pegs and holdfasts in the large apron. This one will have a deadman. I won't go without one

- Yep, can't tell from the drawing but the top will hang 4 inches beyond the base. Flush legs get in the way of dog holes, holdfast holes and clamps. There are advantages to flush legs to, but after a lot of thought decided the cons out way the pros.

- Wagon vises....well I really want a traditional tail vise on this one for its added clamping ability. I wouldn't mind having the benchcrafts wagon vise, but I'm not going to caught up the cash for their hardware.

- Leg vises...current bench has one. I love a lot of things about it, but when I'm working with several thicknesses of stock the pin gets annoying. Yes their are alternatives (I see you have the cross), but I really like the efficiency and small footprint of a basic QR vise. I'll admit though that is the ONE thing about my design that I think I MAY come to change my mind about...but the nice thing about face vises is that its easy to change to a different type later....not so much with a tail vise.

Michael...tell me about it dude. That rough old lumber would have taking me a LONG time to prep. It was really nice to use those machines. High quality machinery like that is such a joy to use.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-02-2014 at 7:23 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Oh and Keith. Beautiful shop and awesome bench. That's a quite a shelf of molding planes you got there. SWEET!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Youve been a busy boy, Mr. Griggs!

A new panel gauge, a new bench, AND an article in on cats work for PWW? Where DO you find the time old man?

Enjoy! That looks like its gonna be a super bench!

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    A new panel gauge, a new bench, AND an article in on cats work for PWW? Where DO you find the time old man?
    Well, not having any kids helps .

Who new my 30s would be so great!

I'm enjoying reading the comments.
    I had a great time working with Chris yesterday and am looking forward to the rest of the build.
    And I've seen the panel gauge and it is truly sweet! Feels good in the hands and has a sure, substantial feel. Looks good, too!
    My biggest decision is what kind of post work-day beer to get for next time...Oh, and which Veritas tool is going to be my first purchase. Chris was kind enough to bring some of his planes for me to check out...
    PI
    Last edited by Paul Incognito; 02-02-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: fat fingers on the wrong keys

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely crossed my mind. But not having some type of board jack will get on my nerves worse. I'll actually probably make a mix of drawers and cupboards and it will be sectioned into 3 units not 2 so I'll always be able to access 2 out of 3 sections. I figure if underbench storage gets on my nerves I'll take it out and just put it in the corner of the shop (it will be a seperate unit)...and the deadman is easy enough to take off if I want to also.

That's why I just drilled 3/4" holes in the apron of the side with a face vise. The only time I could foresee it being a problem is if I had a door or something that was like 20 inches that I needed to edge plane.

If worse comes to worse, I suppose I can make a hanging deadman that can be removed from the apron holes that go all the way through.
    Last edited by Adam Cruea; 02-03-2014 at 8:21 AM.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Blog Entries
    Chris, would it be correct to assume you are going to keep the old bench? Just wondering if the new design is geared toward filling in missing features of your current bench or replacing it? I moved my hand tool work area into a whole separate room and I am still calculating whether or not I am going to have room for everything now that I also need to have a place for the shaving horse/mule.

Blog Entries
    Chris, thanks for posting. Looks like a great bench.

Keith- you suck. Haha. No, seriously, I love the shop and the bench. That thing is huge!!!!

I have plans for a Ruobo when I get my next bonus. I want to do two leg vises- one sliding. That way I can clamp just about anything between the two. I often joint very long boards and also want the ability to dovetail very wide boards for sea chests. Yes, I could do this with a deadman, but the idea of a sliding leg vise is worth the extra money to me.

I notice a lot of you put your bench against the wall. I prefer it out in the open. I do a lot of builds where I need to access all sides of the project.

Chris

This looks great, kinda sad to see the ol' English bench being relegated :-). That bench does look good though. I like the quick release, in fact I love a quick release vice. Setting the storage units down lower than the bench top is good, a dumping ground when needed and space to use a holdfast when required. Sliding dead man, surely no issue, you can remove it when not in use right?

Awesome! And that Hop Devil is a great beer!

Chris,
    Another thought: if you make your drawers open from both sides of the bench (provided it won't sit against a wall) then you wouldn't need to worry much about having something clamped in front blocking access to the drawers. I built a big bench a few years ago and have been plotting to put storage under it, still can't decide if that storage will include drawers but if so I'd like to build them so they can be pulled out from both sides.
    For what it's worth, I did spring for the Benchcrafted wagon vise and never once have I regretted that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Chris, would it be correct to assume you are going to keep the old bench? Just wondering if the new design is geared toward filling in missing features of your current bench or replacing it? I moved my hand tool work area into a whole separate room and I am still calculating whether or not I am going to have room for everything now that I also need to have a place for the shaving horse/mule.
    I'm actually not sure yet. Depends on space, but I would like to keep just to have as an extra work surface. You are right they are very different benches. The English bench definitely caters more to heavy stock prep (<34", built in planing stops, big aprons for jointing) whil the new one more towards joinery (36" high, with added work holding ability of the tail vise) but no they are not necessarily intended for different tasks.

I like the English design a lot, but when I thought about the things I didn't like this new bench is what I landed on. I intend to use it for all types of tasks, including the heavy stock prep that the English bench is so good at, BUT I do think it will be nice to have the English bench around still for rougher work, especially when I am mid project where I might want one area to be kept a little neater for finer joinery or finish planing, and another for hogging off a lot of material, doing glueups and stuff where I might want to drive nails into the top. So I guess the old bench will be used to help keep the new bench in nicer shape. for instance, I currently do all my metal work (read: saw filing and sharpening at the current bench. I won't do that stuff at the new bench, and will continue to rely on the old bench for that stuff. I'm not a pristine workbench kinda guy, but it will be nice to have a work surface that I keep clean, and that won't mark up freshly finish planed or sanded surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    Chris

This looks great, kinda sad to see the ol' English bench being relegated :-). That bench does look good though. I like the quick release, in fact I love a quick release vice. Setting the storage units down lower than the bench top is good, a dumping ground when needed and space to use a holdfast when required. Sliding dead man, surely no issue, you can remove it when not in use right?
    Yes the deadman can be removed, or just slid out of the way. I did debate it at first, but once I though about it I realized it would be a non issue. I mean, it mostly gets used for edge jointing, and when I'm edge jointing I'm really only using my 6 or 7 and those will already be out.

One thing I do think is kinda of funny as I look at my old bench and soon to be bench is how much I've developed my own preferences over the last few year. My first bench is pretty much straight of of Chris Schwarz's book, while my new bench pretty much goes against all his preferences/recommendations with its underbench storage, setback legs, square dogs and tail vise that will be made from the often shunned green hardware.

That's not into to start another poopoo on CS conversation btw. His book was essential in helping make my first bench a great workhorse. But I do find it interesting just how much different woodworkers workbench preference's are. After just a couple years of working by hand you REALLY come to know what works for you and what doesn't.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-03-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Chris,
    Another thought: if you make your drawers open from both sides of the bench (provided it won't sit against a wall) then you wouldn't need to worry much about having something clamped in front blocking access to the drawers. I built a big bench a few years ago and have been plotting to put storage under it, still can't decide if that storage will include drawers but if so I'd like to build them so they can be pulled out from both sides.
    For what it's worth, I did spring for the Benchcrafted wagon vise and never once have I regretted that choice.
    That's a good idea. I'll try to do that if I go with drawers. It won't be totally against the wall, but it won't be in the center of the room either..more like a couple feet from the wall, so it will depend on space.

Yeah, I don't know anyone who is unhappy with that hardware. Actually though, I were to spring for fancy tail vise hardware I'd get either the LN tail vise or LV QR tail vise. The LN is just a rock solid and make a fantastic smooth fairly traditional tail vise...I haven't used the LV, but I'm sure its great stuff too and the lazy man in me does like the quick idiot proof installation...

Anyway, I've got some of the green hardware on its way. I've heard a number of people say it sucks, but I've heard an equal number say it works great IF you install in precisely....I'll make it work, and if it looks like total crap I'll send it back and get something else. I suspect it will be fine though.