Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Workbench 2.0

Way too much cheeting going on there.

Where is all the sweating ?
    Where is all the piles of curls and endless sharpening to make them ?
    Where ?
    Where is all the blisters ? (and that's just from putting all the blades in the sharpening jig.)

Nah . . .
    nah . . .
    something ain't right.
    Not enough Neander there

Chris,
    I am seriously beginning to reconsider your status here as a TRUE Neander.
    We may have to call a comity to discuss the possible discussion of the election of an investigative body to reevaluate the size of your supraorbital arches.
    Don't make us pull out the dividers on this one.

Ok fooling aside, what little old reclaimed douglas fir I have messed with seemed way splintery / slivery.
    Is it going to make a good bench without biting you every time you wipe the curls off the bench with your barehand ?
    When I made my Klausz I had my rails in the way vise bolted into some old reclaimed douglas fir eight by eight (or there abouts) basement posts and that was my experience.
    And don't even get me started on the fools that make their bench tops out of fir plywood. Makes me bleed just thinking about working on those &%^$*#&$*% bench tops.

Heck I don't know.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-03-2014 at 2:29 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Winton what?

No comments on the lack of a traditional shoulder vise, with corresponding picture of your crotch that you supposedly don't constantly slam into it?. I guess I satisfied your Klaus bench fetish with the tail vise huh?

I'm not worried about the fir. It's pretty darn smooth off the planer. The edges might be prone to splintering, but that's why god invented chamfering. My current bench is salvaged yellow pine (and perhaps I'm comparing apples to oranges), but I've had no problems with splintering. I tend to sweep or blow the shaving off my bench though.

As far as my Neanderism...well the sooner I build the bench the sooner I can use it build stuff with handtools. How's that sound?....

..or just do your committee and have my membership revoked....I must admit that I really enjoyed using that machinery...just a totally different experience then the cheap crap I've used before. I might trade in my neander membership if I had a jointer and planer like that, though I still wouldn't use a router, because routers are evil (says the guy who hates routers so much that he currently has 21 molding planes in route to his house)
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-03-2014 at 2:25 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Likes I says . . . I don't have much experience with that fur stuff but . . .

blow the shaving off my bench though.
    Oh with an electric powered compressed air blast I suppose ? ? ? ?
    ? ? ?
    Or Bob forbid ; a leaf blower ? ? ?
    OK that's it . . .
    BUSSSSS OUT THE DIVIDERS ! ! !
    Harumph, Harumph
    We shall see young man.
    We will just see about THIS.

No comments ?
    Well I was going to mention that while you were (I can hardly bring my self to utter the words) electron POWERING through that forest of lumber . . .
    . . . somebody broke into your shop and drilled all your dog holes to round ones.
    Shockiing.
    Simply shocking.
    Chamfering
    IiiiiiDnOh
    that'll probably just sharpen up the splinters nice for the attack to follow.

WAY TO GO ON THE HOUSE !
    But
    Better is Better.

I don't know if you saw my addition to my first post but I will paste it here just to help me get out my frustration with the blasted things :

And don't even get me started on the fools that make their bench tops out of fir plywood. Makes me bleed just thinking about working on those &%^$*#&$*% bench tops.
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    . . . somebody broke into your shop and drilled all your dog holes to round ones.
    Actually, the sketchup drawing I posted is out dated. You'll pleased to know that the dog holes will be square.

Thanks for your comments Winton. ANd yes, we love the new house!

You crack me up (when I can decode what you're saying anyway)
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

No, no, know . . . . Klausz, Klausz, Klausz . . . at least the base.

Board on the nerve.

(you know how I like to argue both sides of the thing. I just take the one nobody is on yet).

Probably won't be a problem. With a board being worked on the deadman you won't be able to get in the drawers anyway so we can't blame it on the deadman (he is after all DEAD).

When there is no board on the DM then it ca simply be lifted out and only put back for the photo session for the magazine article.

Annnnnnnd that brings up another pet worry. If I were to worry.
    One of the wonderfullest woodworkers of our age has drawers under his bench just like that. He pulls out a drawer to support the plank and does not even use a DM.

Of course that fills the bloody drawer with curls.

There are so MANY things in this world that puzzle me.
    Drawers under a woodworking bench being one of them.
    But
    Better is Better.

There are so MANY things in this world that puzzle me.
    Drawers under a woodworking bench being one of them.
    Oh my...

We (collectively....all of us in a mind control way) love the drawers under a bench as long as there is a space between the bench and the drawers/cabinets so the average guy walking down the street can still use his hold downs. And if you don't...

Well, like, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

when I can decode what you're saying
    Just trying to provide bright quick young minds with some slight exercise.

and old ones with consarn frustrating rassa, frassa $%^#@

(hey it is fun typing those symbles maybe I will make them my new handle. Well not here; got to be respectable here but . . . hmmmmm)
    But
    Better is Better.

Well, like, that's just, like, your opinion, man

It is my OBSERVATION
    viewed through my purple colored vail that is my sick , obsessive , out of control, involvement with the Klausz WAY.
    Don't let yourself become entangled in this cult.
    Save your selves
    or
    you could become an undying proselytizer walking the earth, living only to preach and pray.
    It is too late for me . . .
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-03-2014 at 3:45 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

It's a line from a movie I wouldn't have actually said that myself.

Blog Entries
    I'm a proponent of the Scandi shoulder as well, even though it is a giant pita to build.

Moar pics!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    It's a line from a movie I wouldn't have actually said that myself.
    I think I might be the only one who caught that

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Moar pics!
    I'm probably going out to Pauls next this Sunday to continue work. Will be sure to take more pics. It's all being worked on at his shop which is about 45 minutes from me so this will all be done in weekend stints. I think the next thing on the list is the dog strip and possible the tail vise, as having both those done will help with laying out the figuring out where to put the base in relation to the top.

Ok fooling aside, what little old reclaimed douglas fir I have messed with seemed way splintery / slivery.
    Is it going to make a good bench without biting you every time you wipe the curls off the bench with your barehand ?
    Heck I don't know.
    Hey Winton,
    I've been working with my DF bench for a couple of months now and haven't gotten a single splinter.
    Must just be you...
    Seriously though, if you wipe your hand across the grain, you're far less likely to get a splinter. Just sayin,
    PI

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I think I might be the only one who caught that
    The Dude--I'm with you guys. The follow-up response to that is hilarious but obviously not appropriate for the masses.

Great start to the build, Chris. I'm also looking forward to the progress photos.