Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Workbench 2.0

The Dude
    I saw that but has been quite a while. Sounds like time to rewatch it.
    Is the quote about bowling having rules from The Big Lebowski ?
    Sounds like it was.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-07-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

DF no splinter trouble
    glad to hear it guys. For Chris's sake
    Apparently I am full of sheeeet on the DF.

God speed Mr Griggs
    But
    Better is Better.

Dude clips
    Man I hope no body clicks on those other clips or we are all going to be banished.
    Well banished isn't close to what is going to happen, more like fire bombed in our homes and then the ashes flushed down the toylet.
    But
    Better is Better.

Scandi shoulder . . . a giant pita to build.
    Nah, that is called "fun" around these parts.
    Seriously though. I had a great time building my bench. Important to not look forward to all the things I could "should" be working on instead. Just stay in the moment (in this case moment means YEAR) and enjoy every saw stroke and chisel cut.
    But maybe I wax too romantic.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-07-2014 at 11:27 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Truth is I enjoy every moment of it, easy or pita.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

i agree with you about dug fir Winton. i would chamfer the bottom of the legs so it it slides you don not get blow out.

Woof Woof

Got a few hours out at Pauls shop today, and we got the dog strip knocked out.

Here's Paul taking a test cut in some scrap to make sure the routing template is giving us what we want.

IMG_20140209_132209_509.jpg

And here's the dog strip in clamps getting glued on to the front of the top. They are 1" from the edge 3 1/2" from front face of 1 dog to the front face of the next. They start 14" in from the left side and end 2" before the area when the notch for the tail vise will be cut out

IMG_20140209_155922_750.jpg

I think Paul took some in progress picture of me routing the actual hole, so he can post those if he wants....these are all I took.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Got a few hours out at Pauls shop today, and we got the dog strip knocked out.

Here's Paul taking a test cut in some scrap to make sure the routing template is giving us what we want.

I think Paul took some in progress picture of me routing the actual hole, so he can post those if he wants....these are all I took.
    Paul, please do post those pictures of our Neanderthal friend Chris running the router. They would be priceless. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Paul, please do post those pictures of our Neanderthal friend Chris running the router. They would be priceless. LOL
    Hahaha...yeah, I'm eating my words today considering how many times, including in this thread I've said I HATE routers (though I do own one that I never use)

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to cut all dog holes by hand today though. I'm not going to say I enjoyed using the router (that's a given that I didn't), but it was the right tool for the job today . Hopefully Paul will post the pics!

I did use a chisel while making the router template though!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

IMG_5784.jpgIMG_5785.jpg
    Just for the record, I hate routers too, even though I love them. They're noisy, dusty and generally obnoxious. But they get the job done.
    That doesn't stop me from owning a few.
    IMG_4931.jpgThere's more, this is an old picture.

I cut the straight sides for the dog template with the chop saw and Chris did the rest with a hammer and chisel. I gotta say, the guy handles the tools like a surgeon, very impressive!
    Aside from listening to the router all day and filling my shop up with smoke from the dull bit, we had a good time getting this done! And I gotta say, when I built my benches, I went with round dogs, pretty much out of sheer laziness. After doing this, I almost wish I'd have gone with square. Almost...
    Oh, and I also noticed that I should have straightened the sign on the door...

Fun stuff,
    PI

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Hahaha...yeah, I'm eating my words today considering how many times, including in this thread I've said I HATE routers (though I do own one that I never use)
    Necessary evil sometimes when you're building something because you want to have what you're building rather than building for the sake of enjoying making things.

I've been working on my tail vise at home, since I only get to Paul's once a week tops to work on the bench. Inclement weather gave me a free day-off yesterday and I managed to my tail vise core complete. This is based on the plans for the Nelson vise in the Scott Landis workbench book. For whatever reason, I had a really hard time wrapping my head around it so it took me a good bit of time in the shop looking at the plans, then looking at the hardware, then looking at the wood to figure out the how/where/what/why of it....I can't just follow plans blindly...I need to know why. Its actually very very simple, but its one of those things I needed to see and do in real life to understand the construction.

Here's the core in glueup. If I can find my real camera (as opposed to just my phone) I'll take some more pics and maybe even make a video of the structure. I think it would make it easier for folks contemplating the design to see in more detail the how/why of the design. There are a couple components for which I didn't adhere perfectly to the dimensions of the plan and once I got the core together it became immediately apparent why are as they are in the plan...I lucked out and what I changed won't impact things, but I think it would good to point them out in a later post. For now I'll just say this...if you get the green tail vise hardware from LV and make the Nelson vise from Landis book its best to just follow the plans in the book exactly...they are written for that exact hardware (or at least with its exact dimensions) and thus the plan as it is written is perfectly suited to it... its may not be clear why at first, but trust me follow the plans...they'll make perfect sense after you start getting tings assembled.

IMG_20140213_203653_630.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-14-2014 at 4:53 PM.

Some pics from yesterday. Pretty much the entire day was spent working on the tail vise. Cutting the notch (yes we started it with Festool, and finished with a handsaw), carefully cutting recesses for and hanging the hardware/vise core, and then making the rest of the wood components (vise dog strip, wood top, vise end cap). It was incredibly time consuming, and took pretty much all day. We had a good time as always though, and I think the extra effort we took will lead to smooth moving vise that doesn't sag or rise up. Though I didn't initially plan on it, I decided the vise was a enough of a PITA to warrant dovetailing the dog strip in the vise's end cap. I started on those when I got home, and that's all she wrote for now.

Before going to Pauls to work on the bench on Sunday, I made a mockup of how the vise would hang on the bench in a piece of scrap oak. This took me a good bit of time doing on my own on Saturday but I'm REALLY glad I did it. It helped use figure out several key measurements/locations/dimensions, as well as maximize the travel of the vise whilst not allowing it to be opened to a point where the screw would come out of the nut. I didn't realize how important this mock up would be but without I think we would have encountered some frustrating surprises.

IMG_20140215_154905_163.jpg

We used Paul's tracksaw to start the kerfs for squaring the ends as well as for the vise notch.

IMG_20140216_105642_977.jpg IMG_20140216_114136_818.jpg

Some shots of the vises guts as they look hung on the bench. No the vise harware doesn't come in black, but fortunately rustoleum does...hence the block tips, which will be visible. I, of course, painted the handle/garter black as well, which you can just makeout in the left of the next photo.

IMG_20140216_142629_316.jpg IMG_20140216_142621_035.jpg IMG_20140216_142607_988.jpg

...and the dovetails i started when I got home last night and will finish the next time I get down to the shop...these are some big dovetails...I don't usually use the "140 trick", but as you can see in the final photo, in this case I decided it would be worthwhile.
    IMG_20140216_183605_608.jpg IMG_20140216_191810_576.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-17-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    Obviously track saws are powered hand tools!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Obviously track saws are powered hand tools!

Obviously! How did I overlook that.

Not that it matters...This isn't a handtool build anyway....its a "get 'er done" build of a mostly handtool woodworkers bench.