Thread: Exterior mahogany door

Exterior mahogany door

My mahogany front door is stained a dark brown and is in need of attention after 7years. It gets about 3 hours of morning sun and has faded. Any suggestions for a clear finish that will be durable?

The best things i have used for this are boat type marine grade hi gloss varnish. But i would not say i found any one that is the best as of yet, though i dont do a lot of outdoor projects.
    Not that this is your actual question but a small roof over that door would do wonders to make it last and look good for a long time.

Epifanes Clear Varnish Gloss, Interlux Schooner Gold, and Pettit, Z-spar Captains, are among the highest grade marine varnishes. These are the real marine varnish, not found in big box stores or ordinary paint stores. Many hold the Epifanes to be the best of the best.

Someone here posted about the front door they made. He used GF's 450 Exterior and was very pleased. I've had other colleagues rave about it's durability in exterior door applications, too. I love Epifanes Marine Varnish for outdoor furniture, but for the front door I plan to build this year I will be using the GF 450 Exterior instead because I think it looks better in that application, and I can spray it.

John