Thread: design critique requested

design critique requested

Hello all- First post here, though I've been lurking on and off for quite some time. Been trying to design an "entryway table" for a client, and the process has been somewhat trying. Client doesn't know exactly what he wants, but that it should be sturdy, attractive, somewhat Asian possibly. He's in his mid 30's, outdoorsy, a rough and tumble sort, who feels it's time to start with some "grown-up" furniture. So here's my latest, and I'm pretty sure I like it, though I've been staring at various designs for so long it's hard to be objective. Dimensions are about 65 long, 34 high, 14 deep. Walnut and spalted maple are how I've got it set up in Sketchup right now. Any and all honest opinions welcome. Thank you, Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's pretty.

I'm a little concerned about wrack resistance in what's the left-right direction on the drawing. There's not much to keep the legs vertical. You might consider turning the bottom stretcher 90 degrees so that it is taller than it is wider. That would help some.

I agree with Jamie on the wracking resistance needed, also may be a bit tall at 34"h I generally build my tables no more than 30" +/- 1/2"

John

Hi old friend,

That table does look very nice. I agree with the others that the stretcher could be turned so it is vertical to gain some racking resistance. I think the stretcher would fit the design better that way, too. Maybe join it to the short front to back stretchers with a halving joint.

Those little contrasting wedges are nice and it would be neat to keep the color down there. Suppose you pegged the halving joint with a square peg that stands proud of the stretchers.

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't much thought of the racking issue. The upper rails (the long ones) I had planned to join to the short cross rails with shouldered lap joints which ought to help some. I suppose I could also mortice & tenon a long stretcher into the upper side stretchers behind the drawer if necessary. I'll play with the lower stretcher too, though I was fond of the tusk tenon down there; would be harder to do that if the piece is rotated. Thank you for the feedback! Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaplan View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't much thought of the racking issue. The upper rails (the long ones) I had planned to join to the short cross rails with shouldered lap joints which ought to help some. I suppose I could also mortice & tenon a long stretcher into the upper side stretchers behind the drawer if necessary. I'll play with the lower stretcher too, though I was fond of the tusk tenon down there; would be harder to do that if the piece is rotated. Thank you for the feedback! Michael
    Don't be worried about the tusk tenon if you turn the stretcher vertical. You can make the through tenon shorter than the stretcher. For instance, you can make the tenon only an inch tall, and the wedge will be almost the same as you've drawn. There will be three points of impact of the stretcher on the cross rail. One is on the outside, at the wedge. The others are on the inside, at the top and bottom of the stretcher.

Yes, that's true, thanks. And if that stretcher were oriented vertically, the taper would be more pronounced. It's also possible to wedge the thru tenon from the side, maybe not as interesting looking, or simply use a narrower wedge and keep it vertical. When I get a few minutes I'll play some more on Sketchup. I meet with the client in a couple days, so we'll see what he says. I've also got a few other design proposals, though this one is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaplan View Post
    Yes, that's true, thanks. And if that stretcher were oriented vertically, the taper would be more pronounced. It's also possible to wedge the thru tenon from the side, maybe not as interesting looking, or simply use a narrower wedge and keep it vertical. When I get a few minutes I'll play some more on Sketchup. I meet with the client in a couple days, so we'll see what he says. I've also got a few other design proposals, though this one is my favorite.
    The good thing about a vertical wedge is that gravity helps you. If anything loosens up -- maybe humidity changes or something -- the wedge keeps slipping to tighten up. If you run the wedge sideways, you don't get that help.

For an entryway table, I prefer to use a lower shelf instead of stretcher. It gives more space for decorative items, which breaks up the tall empty space under the top.

Imho you dont need to worry about racking. That lower assembly will be fine. In fact, my eye wants the stretcher to be thinner in its width. I also think the upper supports for the table should be walnut. That would make the top appear to float more.

That design looks like it wants to be delicate to me.

Thats all only because you asked. I think the design would be great even as you've sketched it.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-05-2014 at 8:42 PM.

I agree about the aesthetic possibilities a shelf offers. In my case, however, the client wasn't crazy about that idea, and here in New Mexico, dust is a real issue, and something close to the floor like that can be problematic...