Thread: PETG film.

PETG film.

Specifically, I'm looking for a plastic to cut for stencils that will leave a polished edge and isn't as prone to melting or leaving an ugly smoked edge that cannot be cleaned with water or alcohol. I've been reading up a little on a plastic called mylar. Which I presume is the trademarked name and the plastic is something else. This isn't so easily or cheaply accessible to me in Australia or through my plastic suppliers. However I can get PETG or PVC film. Are either of these products similar? Or even the same plastic running under a different name. Or will these still give me the results I'm after.

Also, when I say I'm after something that wont leave a melted edge, I'm not cutting anything like 2mm squares or anything ridiculous, just regular signage stencils.

Any help at all would be brilliant!

Hi there
    We use polypropylene from Field International (also in Australia), It's cheap and cuts good in the laser
    sometimes for smaller stuff i put Application tape as it does soften a bit when cut.
    It's worth a try!
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

Blog Entries
    Mylar is PET (more specifically, BoPET... not to be confused with BoBEEP, a fairytale sheepherder). Do not cut PVC in your machine... you will ruin it in short order as the chloride interacts with the moisture in the air and converts to hydrochloric acid, ensuring your machine begins to rust out within a few days.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

PETG is wonderful material , it bends without marking white marks and is flexible and survives even if flexed a lot , custs clean and fast on the lasers too (we use the same settings as we would do on acrylic) , we cut tons of it for all sorts of applications, It's cheap and we can get it in many thicknesses , we normally use 1mm or 0.75mm.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Overhead transparencies are a easy-to-find source of Mylar film, but are limited in size.
    Center for Experimental Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics - University of Washington
    Kern 400W 4'x8' HSE with metal cutting add-on and rotary stage
    2-axis CNC mill, 2 manual mills, 3 lathes, other standard shop tools, . . . and a 7.5 MeV tandem Van de Graaff particle accelerator

Don't know if McMaster Carr ships to Australia or not, but I get 1/32" Mylar sheets
    to make stencils for sandblasting. (sandwiched to 1/32" rubber/polyester with double
    sided Speed Tape from FastCap) Makes for a great flexible mask, and the rubber sheet
    makes the Mylar last longer.

The rubber/polyester is easy to cut, but messy until you get some soapy water on it.
    Cleans up well with dish soap. Leaves a nice, clean edge for a mask, but I don't imagine
    that super file detail would work well. (4pt text is probably out..)

McMaster Carr isn't a plastics supplier, but then my plastics supplier didn't have either
    of these products when I asked. Might be worth looking at their website to see if you
    have a similar type of supplier locally, or at least who ships to you.

G'Day everyone, LEXAN might be worth a shot (1mm upto 12.5mm), I get mine from A&M Glass in Adelaide. You could try plasticwholesale.com.au, suppose to be reasonable on freight.
    Craig Dawes
    New to the game

I'm not cynical, just experienced!

Lexan does not laser cut very well , leaves a yellow melty type edge..maybe a different composition in other countries would work tho.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Lexan does not laser cut very well , leaves a yellow melty type edge..maybe a different composition in other countries would work tho.
    G'Day Rodne, yes I had that problem as well, (settings speed 1 mm/s power 98%), so I tried the speed at 3 mm/s and the cut is slightly sticky, but not yellow. The stickiness disappears after a couple of hours.
    I would think the composition should be close to the same from most manufacturers.
    Craig Dawes
    New to the game

I'm not cynical, just experienced!

Yeah I had PETG available to me from a supplier here in Australia already who are terrific. Got the result I wanted on the PETG with reasonable speed but had to give it two passes for the best results, which doesn't bother me with the small jobs that they are for now! Thank you all.