Thread: Inspiration or Encouragement for Someone

Inspiration or Encouragement for Someone

Well I recently got my G. Weike laser but have not had time to set it up until this weekend. It took about 2 hours to level the machine and align the lasers. I think the Brits call it "fiddly bits"..

Anyway my first few engraves were simple words on cardboard. Then I moved on to some cutting and playing with the power. After an hour or so, I headed to Home Depot and came back with 1/8" hardboard and 1/4" MDF (damn HD charges an arm and a leg for acrylic). After another hour of playing I felt I was ready for my first real project. A sign for my daughters room. Here is the result.

IMG_20140202_180216.jpg

This was after 2 - 2 1/2 hours of "Playing" (its made from spray painted hard board)... I had zero experience with laser engravers before this. I hope this inspires someone who may be thinking about purchasing.. If I can make something like this after 2 1/2 hours of paying, I can hardly wait to see what I can make after a month or two.

Indeed we do "Fiddly bits" just about covers most set ups

good work on the pic, now you just have to tell the Mrs to hide anything engrave-able she doesn't want to lose

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Wizniuk View Post
    (damn HD charges an arm and a leg for acrylic)..
    And 'that' saved you from wasting your money.. The H.D. Acrylic is 'extruded acrylic' what you need is 'cast acrylic' Extruded does not engrave well. The nice white frosted look comes from engraving cast.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Travis Says "I can hardly wait to see what I can make after a month or two."
    Oh man you can't even imagine the idea's that are going to pop into your head.All the fun your gonna have trying to engraving different stuff, and then the cutting come in and a whole new world opens up.
    Good Job on the picture, can't wait to see what you come up with in the future.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Nicely done.
    When we have finished with the "fiddly bits" we get on to "fettling", and no, thats not as rude as it sounds I think its what others refer to as fine tuning.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Thanks for the kind words... its not commercial quality but pretty damn good for 2 hours of experience..

Also thanks for the advice on acrylic.. We have a Johnston Plastics locally so that is where I will be buying my acrylic. I will be sure to specify cast Acrylic.

I also want to say, this forum is an amazing resource with some truly talented people.. I appreciate all the posts..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Wizniuk View Post
    If I can make something like this after 2 1/2 hours of paying, I can hardly wait to see what I can make after a month or two.
    I hope you don't have animals... once you've run out of things to try that aren't nailed down, even moving objects seem like fair game. Run, Fido, run!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I was at a Chinese buffet today and the fellow I was with was having clams. I said something to the effect that he should take those home and make buttons. Soon we were discussing my laser and trying some clam work! I didn't bring any home but you can see how your mind starts to work when you get a laser.
    2013 Epilog Mini 24x12 60W, Coral Draw X6, Windows 7 Pro
    Old BobCAD 50/50 cnc router (MACH 3 cnc software)
    Shoptask Eldorado 3in1 cnc'd (MACH 3 cnc software)
    Jet 1340 manual metal lathe
    Quote: If you want to kill time, why not work it to death

Blog Entries
    Norm....so instead of telling your kids to "Zip Up" their coats you will tell them, with a smile of course, to "Clam Up!" <grin>
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.