Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making small square holes

Making small square holes

It seems like everything I try to do by hand recently is a first time for me.

For a pair of end tables I'm making, I need to attach 4 1/2" x 1/2" uprights between 2 rails along with a 1/2" x 2" in the center. The are not structural components but I don't want them spinning or coming loose. I'm going to use a 1/4" mortise & tenon 1/2" deep for the 2" center upright. I'm pretty new at cutting mortises by hand and I'm using standard chisels to the the work. I'm confident I can cut the center joint, but the 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/2" hole for the small ones is trickier.

I've thought about drilling 1/4" hole and trying to square the corners with a chisel. I only have 1/8" shoulders, so they have to be precise and I need to make 32 of them. I do have a 1/8" chisel, if that helps but I figured a clean cut with a 1/4" would be the way to go.

Any tips or suggestions?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do, but to get the hole square, Lee Valley has some square punches that may be of value to you. See here.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'd drill them then make them square with your ¼"
    Last edited by Judson Green; 02-03-2014 at 11:32 AM.

I'm installing uprights on a set of mission style end tables. 1/2" x 1/2" x 11" uprights / pickets with, probably attacked with 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/2" deep M&T joints.

Those are interesting. The look a lot like the bits from a mortising machine and work a bit like them as well. $30 each is steep for me, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do, but to get the hole square, Lee Valley has some square punches that may be of value to you. See here.
    Mike
    Last edited by Daniel Rode; 02-03-2014 at 11:34 AM.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    It seems like everything I try to do by hand recently is a first time for me.

For a pair of end tables I'm making, I need to attach 4 1/2" x 1/2" uprights between 2 rails along with a 1/2" x 2" in the center. The are not structural components but I don't want them spinning or coming loose. I'm going to use a 1/4" mortise & tenon 1/2" deep for the 2" center upright. I'm pretty new at cutting mortises by hand and I'm using standard chisels to the the work. I'm confident I can cut the center joint, but the 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/2" hole for the small ones is trickier.

I've thought about drilling 1/4" hole and trying to square the corners with a chisel. I only have 1/8" shoulders, so they have to be precise and I need to make 32 of them. I do have a 1/8" chisel, if that helps but I figured a clean cut with a 1/4" would be the way to go.

Any tips or suggestions?
    Drill, then 1/8" and then 1/4" chisel (something thin, esp if the 1/8" chisel isn't thin in height). 32 of them is a bear. Hopefully they don't have to look perfect. I've never done holes of that length, just saw nut mortises and they never come out looking like a perfect machine cut joint. Spoace for chisel/waste and tearing of fibers is always a problem.

The chisels that mike is showing look useful if for no other reason than to just get a nice clearly defined top side of the hole and shear the fibers cleanly.

Thinking about those saw nut mortises, I'd definitely buy one of the gadgets that Mike H shows and try a test hole with a couple of different sized bits.

Thanks. I have a 1/8" shoulder all around, so it doesn't have to look perfect but I don't have much room for error.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Drill, then 1/8" and then 1/4" chisel (something thin, esp if the 1/8" chisel isn't thin in height). 32 of them is a bear. Hopefully they don't have to look perfect. I've never done holes of that length, just saw nut mortises and they never come out looking like a perfect machine cut joint. Spoace for chisel/waste and tearing of fibers is always a problem.

The chisels that mike is showing look useful if for no other reason than to just get a nice clearly defined top side of the hole and shear the fibers cleanly.
    -- Dan Rode

What I would do is mark out the mortise with a knife, drill the 1/4" hole in the center, then use the 1/4" chisel in the remainder of the knife line, just a light tap on the mallet, and then get rid of that waste carefully. This will establish a nice looking shoulder. then you can use the 1/4" with harder mallet blows to remove the rest of the waste. Should be easy to stay within the 1/8" shoulder on the tenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    Thanks. I have a 1/8" shoulder all around, so it doesn't have to look perfect but I don't have much room for error.
    OK, now I gather what the shoulder is like. I'd still buy the square chisel and use it for that. it might come in handy in the future, too. Otherwise, 32 of them will take a long time, and something nasty is going to happen on a couple.

personally i'd experiment w/ your method a bit on similar wood to be certain you like it. I've done a similar tasks (not 32 of them) w/ square holes for pegs that will show, but I found it easier to just chop them w/ the chisel than pre-drilling. With a full size hole (1/4"), there wasn't enough meat to register the chisel accurately and it took longer to cleanup the walls then just chopping them out directly. The knife line can also chip and drift into wood waste depending on the grain orientation. If you drill pilot holes, I'd probably try as David suggested and make them smaller ~1/8", but then I'm not sure they'd serve any real purpose. Or, since you're doing 32 of them, that definitely justifies a tool purchase!

If it's not structural, any reason you can't just drill the end of the upright and the rail and use a dowel? Glued in place, it will never spin or come loose and will be a whole lot easier and faster than cutting 32 tenons and 32 mortises.

Blog Entries
    I have the 1/4" and 1/2" punches. They work great. You have to buy a proper sized drill bit for each size.

If they show, 32 holes is right around the point I'd look to make friends with somebody who has a mortiser . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I know 32 holes, plus 8 longer mortises for the center pickets, seems like a lot but it's not that bad. I'm under no deadline, so I can take my time. I've squared up a number of routed mortises and those are pretty simple if there's a knife wall to register the chisel. It's only 1 or 2 whacks to get down to 1/2". There's not much resistance because there is so little wood to chop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    If they show, 32 holes is right around the point I'd look to make friends with somebody who has a mortiser . . .
    I considered using dowels but it felt wrong for this application and the amount of work is not much different.
    -- Dan Rode

I really like the punches and I can see using them, I'm just put off my the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have the 1/4" and 1/2" punches. They work great. You have to buy a proper sized drill bit for each size.
    -- Dan Rode