Thread: Tongue Drum with pic

Tongue Drum with pic

With Ken's help I tried a Drum. Padauk and Maple. I cut the Whale top design out about 3/8 deep with a 35 watt laser. Made is very easy for a scroll saw to finish. Then widen the kerf up with a jig saw. The name is laser cut letter inlays. They work out very nice and are not very hard to do. Drum sounds great. Thanks Ken for your help.

Hi Pete, I'm making one of those and wondered if you have any suggestions on tuning. I don't have any proper "mallets" to test it yet so I can't tell what it's going to sound like. Any info. mucho appreciated. Yours looks great with the laser engraving and all! Thanks Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Wow, Pete you work pretty fast. It looks great!

Tune

Alan - I found out while building that they sound bad even when clamped up into the box shape. Once you glue it up the sound totally changes. No need for any special mallet. Just strike it sharply with a finger.

Tuning is hit or miss. I think to lower the note you could cut a little more near the base line thus making the tuning fork a little bigger for a lower tone. The other way is to remove material from the inside but that is difficult to do once it is glued together. I do not plan to tune this one as it sounds fine as is.

O.K. Pete, thanks for the info. I may experiment with a hole in the side to see how that changes the sound. Mine doesn't seem to have any volume to the sound but the notes don't sound too bad.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan;

The drum beaters are actually made from inserting dowels into small superballs that you can purchase at you local toy store. Here is a link o a site on making tongue drums.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Alan;

The drum beaters are actually made from inserting dowels into small superballs that you can purchase at you local toy store. Here is a link o a site on making tongue drums.
    I buy "superballs" at WalMart - 99¢ for 8. Drill ¼" hole and super glue on 12" long dowel.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Great Job Pete - glad I was able to help.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.