Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triangle winged lidded bowl/box thingy?!

Triangle winged lidded bowl/box thingy?!

DSC_0345.JPGDSC_0346.JPGDSC_0344.JPGDSC_0342.JPGDSC_0343.JPG

This is a form I have been thinking about doing for some time........getting the triangle exactly the same on all three sides is more difficult than meets the eye, and I was able to get a template for design purposes, and off to the races!

I actually wanted to do a lid with more than black, but the selection of wood I had to go with the cherry was limited, so I just ebonized a piece of maple for the lid for contrasting purposes. Black goes with everything! When I can get some decent maple burl with good figure, I will probably do another one of these.

The form is 10" wide and 4.5" tall.

This is a challenging piece to do, especially with those wings flying at over 2000 rpm, and sanding by hand is very tedious with all the small areas which have to be done.

This may not be everyone's cup-O-tea, but it is something I have been contemplating for probably the better part of the last year. I almost did one from a piece of walnut back about 3 months ago, but decided to use that walnut for another purpose.

I am not sure what to call it really........lidded bowl, lidded box, winged form.........thingy???! What say you about the official identity of this form?

Comments are welcome!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice with the black lid Roger. well done on he sanding and finish , these are not the type to get in a rush to finish.... patience and perseverance!
    John 3:16

Very nice Roger....do you have a pic of the bottom or better yet how did you hold it...

I really like that piece!.....I agree with Paul. I like the black lid as well.

Very nice! I love the combination of burl and black lid! Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very . When you say "I actually wanted to do a lid with more than black", were thinking of having the knob on the lid a different color other than black?
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Roger,
    I like this one a lot. The color combinations and the shape are very nice. That is very nice Burl too. Great work.....
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

very nice Roger, good to see some different forms, well done

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Very nice! I love the combination of burl and black lid! Well done Sir!
    Thanks for your reply, Ken............nice to hear from you! Hope you are doing well these days!

The form of this piece makes it a winner; the details are nice additions.

Really beautiful piece love the shape and the black top on the cherry. Very nice piece.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    When you say "I actually wanted to do a lid with more than black", were thinking of having the knob on the lid a different color other than black?
    Correct Brian......only I was wanting to just make a black ring about 1/2" or maybe 3/4" wide and then another piece of cherry and a black knob. That was option 2, my first lid I made from this was out of a nice piece of box elder burl with some really nice figure in it......it would have been a stunning combination, but when I got into it, there were two inclusions in it that ruined the look I was going for........so drop back and punt!

13. Thanks Ken, Charlie, Dennis and Harry!

Very nice Roger!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very pretty and outa the box. These are hard to sand for sure. Did one last year with 45 deg wings. Never did get the sanding in the slot just right--it was very narrow.