Thread: project ideas for my grandpa having back surgery

project ideas for my grandpa having back surgery

My grandpa has had his own shop building furniture and cabinets for years and is having back surgery this week and won't be able to do any lifting for 6 months. I'm trying to find some kind of wood kit/projects he could do at his desk or kitchen table. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chip Caving?

This is a great book with several designs of Japanese Lamps and Lanterns. http://www.amazon.com/Making-Japanese-Style-Lanterns-Edward-Turner/dp/0881791989/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391476487&sr=1-1&keywords=japanese+lamps+and+lanterns I believe most can be built with a few non-powered hand tools and shouldn't require any lifting or assertion. The scale of these allows you to build at a small bench or kitchen table.
    Good luck w/ the surgery.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 02-03-2014 at 8:26 PM.

Maybe you can find some DVDs or U-tube posts to interest him. Some of the scroll or band saw work can be done without a lot of lifting or exertion and also turning. He might want to branch out his interests while doing the recovery.

How about a radio controlled glider. He can fly it next summer. I have built several. The balsa kits have pre-cut parts and they are not hard to learn to fly.
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 02-03-2014 at 9:41 PM.

I am a little over 3 months past my 4th back operation. It has been slow going but I did watch alot of you tube videos on woodworking and just recently started back at my scroll saw. I find doing different things makes it better for my back, in other words changing positions often so I don't get stiff.
    Lori K

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    How about a radio controlled glider. He can fly it next summer. I have built several. The balsa kits have pre-cut parts and they are not hard to learn to fly.
    I built a Chris Craft model runabout boat from a wood kit. Everything you need is in the kit. It has shaping, sanding, fitting challenges which require small hand tools. The project lasts for more than a few weeks, and you end up with a classic item which might appeal to someone of a 'certain age'.